Adam van Duren, Scanian runes-Skånska runor

  • hakan36@spray.se
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8, 2001
      --- In gothic-l@y..., hakan36@s... wrote:

      Adam van Duren who worked in Denmark and Sweden in 1490-1530 and
      rebuilt of the Linköping dome. He rebuilt among other things the
      crypt and designed and cut bishop Birger Gunnersen´s sarcophagus. On
      the top you can see his signature ADAM with big letters. On the top
      left there are some runes who look scanian-danish medieval. These
      might reflect a nationalistic interest in runes in the 16th and 17th
      c. The runes doesn´t seem to have a meaning, but if I find another
      interpretation, I will come back to them.

      > Since we are talking about the dome in Lund, we might as well
      discuss
      > scanian runes. As late as the 13th c the runes were used in Skåne.
      > In this site you can also and listen to the oldest written down
      > musicnotes in the nordic countries.
      >
      > http://www.hum.ku.dk/ami/am28.html

      In the runic message only "g" and "ä" was written with runes. The old
      women who couldn´t remember the right latin ones, instead took to the
      letters that she knew best, the runes. The message is: AAD GÄT 1900,
      which means Anna Andersdotter "goated", that will say goatherded.
      Probably one of the last runes written in an UNBROKEN tradition since
      the iron-age. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

      > The last rune in the world was probably written by an old goatherd-
      >ing women from Älvdalen, Dalarna, Sweden around 1900.
      I will probably come back to the other inscriptions later.

      The Älvdalsmål also has w-sound and mute or eluded h. One exemple you
      may find in the songtitles far down 'tungelest´n', which means "the
      moonphase-horse". That word is only known from another language, the
      gothic one. It is known as 'tuggl'. Fascinating isn´t it?

      http://www.amigo.se/amcd_742eng.htm

      > http://oden.klippan.se/elevarbete/nv94daal/NetIt23/20697x.htm

      Håkan Liljeberg
    • hakan36@spray.se