Visigothic Shipping

  • Ian Harris
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2001
      Hi,
      Given the recent discussion about Vandalic shipping, I wondered if
      anyone could point me to any sources/books (preferably in English)
      which cover the history of Visigothic navies during the period before
      the Arab conquest.

      I seem to remember references to an unexplained naval battle which a
      Gothic noble won against a Byzantine fleet off the coast of Spain
      during the reign of Wittiza & naval operations are mentioned in the
      sources covering Paul's rebellion against Wamba (Julian of Toledo I
      think). Does anyone know of other instances? And do we know what sort
      of ships the Visigoths used?

      On a related point - where did the Arab invaders obtain the shipping
      to cross the Straits of Gibralter?

      Ian Harris