Lundina Gothorum- "Cathedral"

  • Friþunanþs Ximeneiks - Fernando E. Ji
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2001
      To: Bertil and others,
      I am researching the relationship of Visigothic architecture with
      architecture in the rest of Europe and I have run into a wall of
      inconsistency as concerns the date for the (start of construction) of
      the Cathedral of Lund in (of course) - ["Lundina Gothorum"(per- Great
      Larousse)]. In general, I have not been able to find much on this very
      early treasure of the Romanesque. The dates that I have been able to
      find are not in agreement between sources.

      Also, do you or anyone else have any facts/information concerning a
      purported colossal carving of a giant figure on one of the pilars of the
      Cathedral of Lund which is flanked by another pillar of a woman holding
      an infant? Supposedly there is an official story behind it and I am
      wondering if anyone might know of it.

      It is too early to reveal how all these items may be linked, and it may
      prove to be more conclussive to my thesis if nothing is said at this
      time but I will be more than grateful for any information.

      Feel free to contact me privately,

      Thanks,
      F.X.