Re: [gothic-l] Literature Question

  • andreas.schwarcz@univie.ac.at
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2001
      On 28 Mar 2001, at 9:49, dirk@... wrote:

      > The following three books edited by Walter Pohl sound quite
      > interesting. However, in general I was often disappointed with edited
      > books and as the first two are not cheap either I thought I ask if
      > anybody on the list can recommend them:
      >
      > 1) Kingdoms of the Empire: The Integration of Barbarians in late
      > Antiquity (vol. 1)
      >
      > 2) Strategies of Distinction: The construction of Ethnic Communities
      > 300 to 800 (vol. 2)
      >
      > Also...
      >
      > 3) Die Germanen, Ed. Walter Pohl

      Dear Dirk,
      all three books are the latest standard in early medieval history.
      The first two are the outcome of a great international project and
      the result of two workshops. As they were published by Brill´s,
      they are rather expensive and I would recommend that you try to
      loan them at a university library. The third is not an edition, it is a
      paperback written by Walter Pohl and I think you can afford that. It
      is a general history of the germanic peoples for a student public.
      Kind regards
      Andreas Schwarcz

      > So if anybody can tell me how they found these books I would be
      > grateful for the advice.
      >
      > cheers
      > Dirk

      Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
      Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
      Universität Wien
      Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
      A-1010 Wien
      Österreich