Ars Visigothorum #2

  • Friþunanþs Ximeneiks
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2001
      The following items of Visigothic art/architecture are from the period
      after the invasion of 711, it is in no way complete. I will try to take
      this thread up again after classes vacate, (late May or so). I think it
      will be more expedient to begin from the most ancient items and
      establish a timeline forwards. Nonetheless- here are a few more things
      from after 711.

      LATE VISIGOTHIC ART/ARCHITECTURE IN SPAIN - CONTINUED:

      III. WEB SITE
      a. Once at the site go to the bottom of the page and go up to the fifth
      photo; San Julián de los Prados, or Santullano. This monument is
      Alphonsene; [Alfonso II, ]
      b. Fourth from the bottom - Santa María de Bendones. This monument is
      also Alphonsene; [Alfonso II, ] - A good photo showing the the stone
      trelliswork on the
      windows.
      http://www3.uniovi.es/Vicest/Otros/Asturias/Ciudades/Oviedo/oviedo-monumental.html

      IV. WEB SITE
      a. Section #2 within the page. Top cluster of four photos. Santa Comba
      De Bande.Visigothic.
      b. Section #3 within the page. Column of photos top to bottom Ist
      photo; (with the white low arched ceiling) Called the Crypt of St.
      Leocadia - in the Cathedral of
      Oviedo, was the first depository of the relics brought north to Asturias
      by the retreating Visigoths.
      4th. photo. Interior of Sta. Cristina de la Lena- (interior) of
      chapel.
      http://www.lafacu.com/apuntes/arquitectura/varios/prerromantico.htm

      V. WEB SITE
      A fair link for General Gothic jewelry.
      a. The fibulae in the fifth photo of the pre-incorporation are
      attributed to the Visigoths
      b. Under the section, Visigothic Kingdom of Toulouse and Toledo, note
      the crowns Recceswinth.
      http://www.hp.uab.edu/image_archive/ujg/ujgp.html