Re: Heruls

  • hakan36@spray.se
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 11, 2001
      --- In gothic-l@y..., Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar.nordgren@e...> wrote:
      > Håkan wrote:
      > >
      > > Hej Ingemar,
      > >
      > > I have seen similar thoughts somewhere about Rink, Rick-names
      > > connected with warriors of a higher class. Your ideas seems very
      > > realistic, and interesting. We can probably both agree that these
      > > names might reflect an idea that could be connected with a feudal
      > > system with a earls/warlords and warriors. The sixth
      headline "About
      > > golden rings and necklaces", seems very interesting in this
      respect.
      > > In almost all these areas have been found "erilaR"-inscriptions,
      and
      > > the latest I´ve heard was that also one had been found at
      Bornholm,
> [...]
      > standing stones are dated between early pre-Roman IA and Roman IA
      and
      > Migration period and the Heruls are said to have arrived in the 6th
      c.
      > Besides, many of these places on Ring- have an earlier name Sol-
      wich
      > still remains specially in Svealand and on Öland. They must
      accordingly
      > once have been connected to the old solar cult and later the early
      cult
      > of Gaut and Óðinn-gaut. There are however no objections if you
      mean
      > the Herules also could have used these places as indeed being
      odinistic,
      > but they did not start them up. Your further information was very
      > interesting. I think we should have a deeper chat off line.

      Hej Ingemar!

      Sorry for being so late with my answer, but I have had a lot of work
      lately. thank for your many interesting facts. I think that you are
      right when you state that most of the standing ring stones belongs to
      the Roman IA and the periods before. When it comes to Vätteryd grave-
      field, I think it was Berta Stjern-quist or Märta Strömberg that had
      the opinion that this grave-field begins around 550 AD. With the
      Sösdala find just one to two km to the north, one cannot help
      thinking about a possible connection with intruding heruls or the
      unrest as a result of a large invading group of people. Just ten km
      south of these places, the highland goes down conciderably, forming a
      natural defense-line with miles after miles of wast woodlands to the
      east and west. The view here is great with a possibility to have an
      outlook for twenty to thirty km away in good weather-conditions.
      Maybe it´s a connection with the irritation between early swedes and
      danes, described in "Rolf Krakes saga" by Saxo Grammaticus and
      Wulfstans information to Alfred the great that Blekinge(and maybe
      earlier NE Skåne/Scania)and Öland belonging to the swedes of the
      Mälar valley. But this do not include the gauts area(Götaland). I
      think that Lars Gahrn have some interesting thoughts about the
      extension of the gauts area in early history. I am also looking
      forward to read your book, which I will probably do soon. We
      defenitely should have a chat off-line.

      A webcamera link looking south from the ridge.
      http://www.hoor.se

      PS I have forwarded your message about cultural destruction in
      Afghanistan to a number of people DS

      Varma hälsningar

      Håkan Liljeberg
    • ingemar.nordgren@ebox.tninet.se
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 11, 2001

        Hello Håkan!

        Thank you for replying. I think your suggestions are well worth
        considering but it seems to be a little off topic on Gothic-l, digging
        deeply in the Swedish later history. I suggest we take that off line.
        Look forward to hear from you.

        Best wishes