Geats/Gauts/Goths

  • Bertil Häggman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2001
      Anthony,

      There can hardly be any doubt (see my posting
      to Philip on the list). Who else would they be.
      The closeness to Vaestergoetland geographically
      to Jutland is certainly one of the indications.

      Gothically

      Bertil

      > We also seem to be back at that old query: were the Geats / Gautar the same
      > people as the Goths?
    • Philip Rusche
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 15, 2001
        I have just been reading Marijane Osborn and Gillian Overing's _Landscape of
        Desire_. They put forward the theory that the land of the Weders in the
        area called Bohuslän near Väderöfjord, around the cities Fjällbacka and Hög
        Edsten, rather than the usually accepted area of Västergötland further
        south. The sea battle they would place on Lake Vänern.

        It's an odd but interesting book, probably much more so to a North American
        like me who is so far away from Scandinavia (and has never been) than it
        would be to a Scandinavian.

        As to the problem of Beo- meaning "bee", though I'm not committed to it, I
        don't really see the objections to this, though I don't have any references
        off hand to back me up, and this is far away from the subjct of Gothic
        anyway.

        Philip Rusche

        to <gothic-l-unsubscribe@egroups.com>.
        > Homepage: http://www.stormloader.com/carver/gothicl/index.html
      • Ingemar Nordgren
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 15, 2001
          --- In gothic-l@egroups.com, Bertil Häggman <mvk575b@t...> wrote:
          > Anthony,
          >
          > There can hardly be any doubt (see my posting
          > to Philip on the list). Who else would they be.
          > The closeness to Vaestergoetland geographically
          > to Jutland is certainly one of the indications.
          >
          > Gothically
          >
          > Bertil
          >
          > > We also seem to be back at that old query: were the Geats / Gautar
          the same
          > > people as the Goths?

          Hello dear Bertil et consortes,

          This question is not so very easy answered. It consists of two
          elements. The problem is that both Gautar and Jutes (Ýtas)definitely
          may be considered Goths/Gothic peoples. Hence the Geatas may be the
          Gautar but it could also be the Jutes, who provingly settled Britain,
          which is the land where the Beowulf-epos is written. A Swedish
          location if that is true seems to me most likely in Bohuslän and along
          the Gauta elfr which is partly also in Vaestergoetland - more
          broadly expressed alongt lower part of the river and North of the
          mouth of the river. Gothenburg lies just in the river mouth.Also
          Norwegian folks may be reckoned Gothic and that covers just Bohuslaen
          that was former Norse. I treat the Gothic issue in my book but I have
          not seen reason to involve the late Beowulfian time and so I am no
          expert in this special question. Still I agree with the connection of
          Weder with the Vaeder-island concept. There are such islands both in
          Bohuslaen and outside Halland/Scania and they seem to be kind of
          border-markings being the utmost islands.Maybe the Weder lived in more
          remote areas-distant (relatively) islands. Just a whim! Of course
          Tore could claim - meaning it is the same as ram - it was because of
          they had sheep grazing there in summer which is not quite impossible,
          but for such things there was much closer and better situated islands
          and I reckon they had a lot of sheep quite outnumbering the capacity
          of these few islands.

          Kind greetings