Re: [gothic-l] Weder-Geats

  • Tore Gannholm
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 15, 2001
      Frank,
      From the younger Bronze age Gotland has a needle with a ram head.
      Regards Tore

      >> Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm@...> wrote (Subject: Re:
      >>Beowolf--the Goth?):-
      >> > Weder is a ram. the one year old sheep male. ... The ram is the national
      >> > symbol of Gotland. Already in the 13th century it was the official seal
      >>of
      >> > the Gotlandic republic. You can see it on http://gotland.luma.com
      >
      >Hmm. A possibility I had never thought of before (not knowing any
      >Gotlanders, y'see . . .;)) But, just off the cuff, how far back before its
      >official attestation could we extend the existence of the Ram symbol? And
      >would an Anglo-Saxon audience have known that? And I think Widsith makes a
      >mention of Onela's lake battle that might correspond with Southern Sweden,
      >though I know I'm getting some names wrong . . .

      Onela's lake battle is probable the Baltic between Gotland and the coast of
      Uppland. Part of the land outside Stockholm was below sealevel

      >>Is there an unusually large amount of sheep-breeding in south Sweden?
      >
      >I don't know, though I don't think that Gotland is quite South Sweden :)
      >

      >>We also seem to be back at that old query: were the Geats / Gautar the same
      >>people as the Goths?
      >
      >And what's the old answer?
      >
      >Cheers,
      >Frank
    • Frank Kermes
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 15, 2001
        >Dear Frank,
        >
        > > >Is there an unusually large amount of sheep-breeding in south Sweden?
        > > I don't know, though I don't think that Gotland is quite South Sweden :)
        >
        > Yes, very much so. It's for good reason called the Island of
        >Roses (Gotland is built on lime stone in contrast to the rest of
        >Sweden) and it is surrounded by water that never freezes. It is
        >the number one vacationland in Sweden. You'll find it right to the
        >east of Vasterg�tland in south-central Sweden.
        >
        > As everyone who ever visited this great island can testify, this
        >is "lamb" territory. There are "lamba-gardi" erected in the south
        >of the island in ancient style as part of their cultural heritage.
        >Yes, they still use "lamb", so Gotish)
        >for sheep!
        >
        > Scotland+North England are roughly co-latitudinal with Denmark
        >and South Sweden.
        >There are more Swedes living there than there are Danes I think.

        Hey, thanks. Though I was being facetious and asking more in a
        nationalistic sense than geographical . . . More of my silliness invading
        the discussion.

        > Why don't you invest in a map :^))

        I have several. It's just that laziness prevents me from actually
        _consulting_ them.

        Cheers,
        Frank