Re: [gothic-l] Weder-Geats

  • sig
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 15, 2001
      Dear Frank,

      > >Is there an unusually large amount of sheep-breeding in south Sweden?
      > I don't know, though I don't think that Gotland is quite South Sweden :)

      Yes, very much so. It's for good reason called the Island of
      Roses (Gotland is built on lime stone in contrast to the rest of
      Sweden) and it is surrounded by water that never freezes. It is
      the number one vacationland in Sweden. You'll find it right to the
      east of Vastergötland in south-central Sweden.

      As everyone who ever visited this great island can testify, this
      is "lamb" territory. There are "lamba-gardi" erected in the south
      of the island in ancient style as part of their cultural heritage.
      Yes, they still use "lamb", so Gotish)
      for sheep!

      Scotland+North England are roughly co-latitudinal with Denmark
      and South Sweden.
      There are more Swedes living there than there are Danes I think.

      Why don't you invest in a map :^))

      Fåraktligen (sheepishly)

      Seigmund

    • Tore Gannholm
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 15, 2001
        Frank,
        From the younger Bronze age Gotland has a needle with a ram head.
        Regards Tore

        >> Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm@...> wrote (Subject: Re:
        >>Beowolf--the Goth?):-
        >> > Weder is a ram. the one year old sheep male. ... The ram is the national
        >> > symbol of Gotland. Already in the 13th century it was the official seal
        >>of
        >> > the Gotlandic republic. You can see it on http://gotland.luma.com
        >
        >Hmm. A possibility I had never thought of before (not knowing any
        >Gotlanders, y'see . . .;)) But, just off the cuff, how far back before its
        >official attestation could we extend the existence of the Ram symbol? And
        >would an Anglo-Saxon audience have known that? And I think Widsith makes a
        >mention of Onela's lake battle that might correspond with Southern Sweden,
        >though I know I'm getting some names wrong . . .

        Onela's lake battle is probable the Baltic between Gotland and the coast of
        Uppland. Part of the land outside Stockholm was below sealevel

        >>Is there an unusually large amount of sheep-breeding in south Sweden?
        >
        >I don't know, though I don't think that Gotland is quite South Sweden :)
        >

        >>We also seem to be back at that old query: were the Geats / Gautar the same
        >>people as the Goths?
        >
        >And what's the old answer?
        >
        >Cheers,
        >Frank
      • Frank Kermes
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 15, 2001
          >Dear Frank,
          >
          > > >Is there an unusually large amount of sheep-breeding in south Sweden?
          > > I don't know, though I don't think that Gotland is quite South Sweden :)
          >
          > Yes, very much so. It's for good reason called the Island of
          >Roses (Gotland is built on lime stone in contrast to the rest of
          >Sweden) and it is surrounded by water that never freezes. It is
          >the number one vacationland in Sweden. You'll find it right to the
          >east of Vasterg�tland in south-central Sweden.
          >
          > As everyone who ever visited this great island can testify, this
          >is "lamb" territory. There are "lamba-gardi" erected in the south
          >of the island in ancient style as part of their cultural heritage.
          >Yes, they still use "lamb", so Gotish)
          >for sheep!
          >
          > Scotland+North England are roughly co-latitudinal with Denmark
          >and South Sweden.
          >There are more Swedes living there than there are Danes I think.

          Hey, thanks. Though I was being facetious and asking more in a
          nationalistic sense than geographical . . . More of my silliness invading
          the discussion.

          > Why don't you invest in a map :^))

          I have several. It's just that laziness prevents me from actually
          _consulting_ them.

          Cheers,
          Frank