Svagrius

  • Anthony Appleyard
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 2001
      andreas.schwarcz@... wrotw (Subject: Re: Normandy and the Visigoths):-
      > Sorry to disappoint you, but Normandy never was part of the
      > Visigothic kingdom. Nominally it may have been part of the realm of
      > Syagrius (a Roman, therefore not Svagrius), afterwards under the
      > suzerainty of Clovis.

      I suspect that "Svagrius" should be "Syagrius" and is not Germanic but
      from Greek {sy:s agrios} = "wild boar".
    • andreas.schwarcz@univie.ac.at
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 15, 2001
        On 15 Jan 2001, at 10:22, Anthony Appleyard wrote:

        > I suspect that "Svagrius" should be "Syagrius" and is not Germanic but
        > from Greek {sy:s agrios} = "wild boar".

        The Syagrii were a prestigious family, part of the senatorial
        aristocracy of Gaul and descended from Fl.Afranius Syagrius,
        cos.381 A.D. . The name Syagrius may definitely be a variation of
        the Greek name Syagros, for which PW give several examples and
        an etymology from sy agros "boar hunter".
        Regards
        Andreas Schwarcz
        Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
        Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
        Universität Wien
        Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
        A-1010 Wien
        Österreich