Re: [gothic-l] Gothic plant names

  • jdm314@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 14, 2001
      Well, off the top of my head I can think of only three: aihwatundi
      (germanic), sinaps (greek), and nardus (greek). There's also the adjective
      barizeins (germanic). I think kaurn just means "grain" though it's listed in
      my Latin-Gothic dictionary under triticum (wheat). Anyone else have
      something? (I'm assuming you just want names of specific plants, not generic
      ones like 'thaurn')

      -Iusteinus
    • eldrid@fido.ch
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 15, 2001
        --- In gothic-l@egroups.com, jdm314@a... wrote:
        > Well, off the top of my head I can think of only three:
        aihwatundi
        > (germanic), sinaps (greek), and nardus (greek). There's also the
        adjective
        > barizeins (germanic). I think kaurn just means "grain" though it's
        listed in
        > my Latin-Gothic dictionary under triticum (wheat).

        Thanks, that's not bad for a beginning.

        >Anyone else have
        > something? (I'm assuming you just want names of specific plants,
        not generic
        > ones like 'thaurn')

        You're right, the specific plant names are the most interesting to
        me. I can't do anything else than hoping that some others of you have
        some other tips... (and/or search the wordlist).

        Best regards,
        Eldrid.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 16, 2001
          We have also hvaiteis (germanic) "wheat", isn't it?
          And in Crimean Gothic: apel "apple"

          Francisc

        • Grsartor@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 16, 2001
            Some more plant names:

            peikabagms m, palm tree, of uncert. origin
            smakkabagms m, fig tree, also of uncert. origin
            hawi n, hay
            gras n, grass or weeds
            ├żaurnus, m, translating Greek akantha, thornplant.
            raus, n a reed
            qertra, name of the q-rune, perhaps meaning apple tree.

            The meanings given above are those stated by Lehmann in "A Gothic
            Etymological Dictionary".

            He suggests that peikabagms may be related to O.E. pic, a spike, and Mod. E.
            pike., possibly from VLat.
            Smakkabagms may be related to Ger. schmecken.

            According to the same source nardus is attested only in the sense oil of
            nard, rather than the plant itself.

            Gerry T.
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 17, 2001
              Other plant names that I remembered now:

              weinabasi (germanic) "grape" (lit. "wine-berry")
              bercna - name of B-rune = *bairkan- "birch"?