Gothic plant names

  • eldrid@fido.ch
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 14, 2001
      Dear everybody,

      do any of you know if there is some place I can find an overview of
      plant names in Gothic? I know that there might not be very many names
      to find, but I'd be interested in seeing if they can be compared with
      names from other old Germanic languages (and in that case in what
      way), or if many of them were borrowed from the Greek language.

      Thanks in advance and all the best,
      Eldrid.
    • jdm314@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 14, 2001
        Well, off the top of my head I can think of only three: aihwatundi
        (germanic), sinaps (greek), and nardus (greek). There's also the adjective
        barizeins (germanic). I think kaurn just means "grain" though it's listed in
        my Latin-Gothic dictionary under triticum (wheat). Anyone else have
        something? (I'm assuming you just want names of specific plants, not generic
        ones like 'thaurn')

        -Iusteinus
      • eldrid@fido.ch
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 15, 2001
          --- In gothic-l@egroups.com, jdm314@a... wrote:
          > Well, off the top of my head I can think of only three:
          aihwatundi
          > (germanic), sinaps (greek), and nardus (greek). There's also the
          adjective
          > barizeins (germanic). I think kaurn just means "grain" though it's
          listed in
          > my Latin-Gothic dictionary under triticum (wheat).

          Thanks, that's not bad for a beginning.

          >Anyone else have
          > something? (I'm assuming you just want names of specific plants,
          not generic
          > ones like 'thaurn')

          You're right, the specific plant names are the most interesting to
          me. I can't do anything else than hoping that some others of you have
          some other tips... (and/or search the wordlist).

          Best regards,
          Eldrid.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 16, 2001
            We have also hvaiteis (germanic) "wheat", isn't it?
            And in Crimean Gothic: apel "apple"

            Francisc

          • Grsartor@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 16, 2001
              Some more plant names:

              peikabagms m, palm tree, of uncert. origin
              smakkabagms m, fig tree, also of uncert. origin
              hawi n, hay
              gras n, grass or weeds
              ├żaurnus, m, translating Greek akantha, thornplant.
              raus, n a reed
              qertra, name of the q-rune, perhaps meaning apple tree.

              The meanings given above are those stated by Lehmann in "A Gothic
              Etymological Dictionary".

              He suggests that peikabagms may be related to O.E. pic, a spike, and Mod. E.
              pike., possibly from VLat.
              Smakkabagms may be related to Ger. schmecken.

              According to the same source nardus is attested only in the sense oil of
              nard, rather than the plant itself.

              Gerry T.
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 17, 2001
                Other plant names that I remembered now:

                weinabasi (germanic) "grape" (lit. "wine-berry")
                bercna - name of B-rune = *bairkan- "birch"?