[gothic-l] language question

  • Eric Craven
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 8, 1998
      in my books there is no plural given for words of the so called u
      declension neutrum.
      my paradigm is
      faihu
      faihaus
      faihau
      faihu

      (faiha
      (faihe
      (faihum
      (faiha
      is what i would expect, does anyone know what the forms should be?

      one more thing, i begun with a dictionary, has anyone already written
      any wordlist or dictionary?
      my format is pretty easy, fx.

      wair;Ma;man
      the word;declension, gender....;translation

      i guess it could be used online with cgis....

      eric

    • M. Edward Carver
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 8, 1998
        Eric Craven wrote:

        > in my books there is no plural given for words of the so called u
        > declension neutrum.
        > my paradigm is
        > faihu
        > faihaus
        > faihau
        > faihu
        >
        > (faiha
        > (faihe
        > (faihum
        > (faiha
        > is what i would expect, does anyone know what the forms should be?

        There apparantly was no plural form for such nouns. If you consider the
        meaning, you will see that there is no necessity for such. The 'u'
        neuters generally possess abstract or collective meanings, just as in
        your example, "wealth" or "cattle". There is no plural form for these
        word (unless we are speaking of different types or instances of the
        actualized idea), although some people attempt to create such forms
        where need arises, like the word "fishes" beside standard plural "fish".

        Matt
      • Christian Petersen
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 1998
          Eric Craven wrote:

          > in my books there is no plural given for words of the so called u
          > declension neutrum.
          > my paradigm is
          > faihu
          > faihaus
          > faihau
          > faihu
          >
          > (faiha
          > (faihe
          > (faihum
          > (faiha
          > is what i would expect, does anyone know what the forms should be?

          'faihu', Eric, is, like the German cognate 'Vieh', or the English
          'cattle', singulare tantum, meaning it occurs only in the singular
          anyway. Even worse: In the paradigm, the genitive is not attested.

          As for the Cod.Arg., Tore, do you actually mean an online version?

          Chris
        • Tore Gannholm
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 8, 1998
            As for the Cod.Arg., Tore, do you actually mean an online version?

            Chris

            Chris,
            I found it. Its fantastic. Iam compairing it with Guta Lagh the old
            Gotandic language.
            Tore
          • Eric Craven
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 9, 1998
              Tore Gannholm wrote:

              > As for the Cod.Arg., Tore, do you actually mean an online version?
              >
              > Chris
              >
              > Chris,
              > I found it. Its fantastic. Iam compairing it with Guta Lagh the old
              > Gotandic language.
              > Tore

              excuse my memory, but where you the one from gotland??
              i remember someone on the old list, who sent a part of some laws in i
              think it was gotlandic
              if you are, could you resend them, as i think they were quite interesting.

              tx

              eric