[gothic-l] Re: introductions

  • Eric Craven
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 22, 1998
      >My main interests in Gothic are compositional, with an emphasis
      >(currently) on recreating the Gothic 'voice', and I am thus
      >fundamentally interested in 'filling in' the Gothic vocabulary through
      >comparative linguistics.
      we have a lot of work to do on that, afaik there are many gaps in the
      vocabulary (fx 4th, 7th ...)

      >PS: Eric, do you have the addresses of those who were on the original
      >Gothic list? There were some great minds. Maybe they are on the group
      >right now! That would be great. In any event, could you relate what
      >has happened with you since your sudden disappearance, as well as the
      >cause thereof?

      i guess i can find them, i will check and enter anybody that i find. u could
      try to write some kind of welcome message, i guess u got the one i wrote
      (not very long), ur english is better than mine
      i ll write about me when we have some more pple

      tx for helping me to do this once more

      eric

      -----
    • Ulf Wiman
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 27, 1998
        > >My main interests in Gothic are compositional, with an emphasis
        > >(currently) on recreating the Gothic 'voice', and I am thus
        > >fundamentally interested in 'filling in' the Gothic vocabulary through
        > >comparative linguistics.
        > we have a lot of work to do on that, afaik there are many gaps in the
        > vocabulary (fx 4th, 7th ...)
        >

        > >PS: Eric, do you have the addresses of those who were on the original
        > >Gothic list? There were some great minds. Maybe they are on the group
        > >right now! That would be great. In any event, could you relate what
        > >has happened with you since your sudden disappearance, as well as the
        > >cause thereof?
        >
        > i guess i can find them, i will check and enter anybody that i find. u could
        > try to write some kind of welcome message, i guess u got the one i wrote
        > (not very long), ur english is better than mine
        > i ll write about me when we have some more pple
        >
        > tx for helping me to do this once more
        >
        > eric

        Dear Eric:

        I find you idea of reviving or re-instating the Gothic language very fascinating.

        Ulfie

        -----
        See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/gothic-l/?start=3
      • M. Edward Carver
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 27, 1998
          ULF!!! good to read that your on the list! I think you were one of the
          original persons Eric and I talked with about starting the list the last
          time. How are your studies going?

          --Matt
        • Ulf Wiman
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 28, 1998
            Matt:

            I would like to see, my own opinion, and maybe somewhat naive, an attempt to promote an interest in the Gothic language and to advance a language resuscitation based on the embers of Gothic. This does not involve any Wagnerian fantasy with racial overtones. By Gothic we don't mean a literary �horror' genre or an architecture style, but a language revival based on real Gothic. This could not entirely be the Wulfian Gothic of the fourth century, but a language using the existing structures of the language and utilizing examples of other language movements, e.g. Cornish, Ivrit (Hebrew), and Nynorsk (New Norse). This by its nature does not entail a "pure" Gothic of the fourth-century language, but a language capable of neologism and loan translations from Germanic languages, like contemporary German and Icelandic, e.g.

            Script: Gothic probably needs to employ the Latin script without any diacritical marks in order to make it comply with ANSI conventions.
            Pronunciation: The Germanic pronunciation of Icelandic could be an "ideal," not the standard, but rather a direction.
            Grammar: It retains as much as possible of the Wulfian grammar.
            Glossaries: Known Gothic words, Germanic loan translations.
            Syntax: Like modern Germanic languages.

            Ulfie (just a thought!)

            > at http://www.eGroups.com -- Free Web-based e-mail groups.

            -----
            See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/gothic-l/?start=8
          • Eric Craven
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 29, 1998
              Ulf Wiman wrote:

              > Matt:
              >
              > I would like to see, my own opinion, and maybe somewhat naive, an attempt to promote an interest in the Gothic language and to advance a language resuscitation based on the embers of Gothic. This does not involve any Wagnerian fantasy with racial overtones. By Gothic we don't mean a literary �horror' genre or an architecture style, but a language revival based on real Gothic. This could not entirely be the Wulfian Gothic of the fourth century, but a language using the existing structures of the language and utilizing examples of other language movements, e.g. Cornish, Ivrit (Hebrew), and Nynorsk (New Norse). This by its nature does not entail a "pure" Gothic of the fourth-century language, but a language capable of neologism and loan translations from Germanic languages, like contemporary German and Icelandic, e.g.
              >
              > Script: Gothic probably needs to employ the Latin script without any diacritical marks in order to make it comply with ANSI conventions.

              well, i dont like the idea of changing it all, fx [ai] (=short e) changing to something else...., but does anyone have any ideas what it would look like finally?

              > Pronunciation: The Germanic pronunciation of Icelandic could be an "deal," not the standard, but rather a direction.

              isnt the pronounciation more or less known? my book provides quite an exact guide to pronounciation (maybe its wrong, dunno..)

              > Grammar: It retains as much as possible of the Wulfian grammar.

              i`d say we keep all, or what would u abolish?

              > Glossaries: Known Gothic words, Germanic loan translations.

              loan words is a good idea

              > Syntax: Like modern Germanic languages.

              dont we have enough syntax in the known texts? we could stay with that, i`d prefer a gothic as close to the original as possible.
              btw anyone prepared to try to talk in gothic via irc/...?
              we could try to open a channel once more..

              eric

            • Engill
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 5, 2007
                --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Ulf Wiman" <Esperanto3@...> wrote:

                > Matt:
                >
                > I would like to see, my own opinion, and maybe somewhat naive, an
                attempt to promote an interest in the Gothic language and to advance
                a language resuscitation based on the embers of Gothic. This does
                not involve any Wagnerian fantasy with racial overtones. By Gothic
                we don't mean a literary `horror' genre or an architecture style, but
                a language revival based on real Gothic. This could not entirely be
                the Wulfian Gothic of the fourth century, but a language using the
                existing structures of the language and utilizing examples of other
                language movements, e.g. Cornish, Ivrit (Hebrew), and Nynorsk (New
                Norse). This by its nature does not entail a "pure" Gothic of the
                fourth-century language, but a language capable of neologism and loan
                translations from Germanic languages, like contemporary German and
                Icelandic, e.g.

                > Script: Gothic probably needs to employ the Latin script without
                any diacritical marks in order to make it comply with ANSI
                conventions.
                > Pronunciation: The Germanic pronunciation of Icelandic could be
                an "ideal," not the standard, but rather a direction.
                > Grammar: It retains as much as possible of the Wulfian grammar.
                > Glossaries: Known Gothic words, Germanic loan translations.
                > Syntax: Like modern Germanic languages.
                >
                > Ulfie (just a thought!)

                hails all members of the list

                I´m not a linguist but i´m very interested in having a gothic
                language I can use in my heathen practices. After reading thru the
                list I found the introductory course by David Salo. I´ll work on it
                and ask as many question I can. I would be very nice to be able to
                hold a ritual for my ancestors in their language or a new version
                based on it.

                Jah Frith ana sunya

                Aggilus