[gothic-l] Auxillary verb conjugations

  • Ben Van Poppel
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 1999
      Hails.

      First, an intro: myname's Ben van Poppel, and I stumbled across
      Mathaius's Gothic pages after looking for something similar for months,
      so naturally, I was delighted. Look forward to some entertaining
      discussion/research on this list.

      Now for the question: the lexicon seems to imply that the auxillary verbs
      have their own conjugations, but I was unable to find all the forms.
      Could someone just send me a table of modal/auxillary verb conjugations,
      or point me to where I can find such?

      Ta in advance.

      Ben.

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/gothic-l
    • Christian Petersen
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 1999
        Now for the question: the lexicon seems to imply that the auxillary verbs
           have their own conjugations, but I was unable to find all the forms.
           Could someone just send me a table of modal/auxillary verb conjugations,
           or point me to where I can find such?

        Hi Benny,
        if you haven't got an immediate answer to your query, this may have 2 reasons, one of them being the fact that those verbs are not attested in all forms and categories.
        But first of all, you should specify what you mean by
        auxiliaries (athematic verbs? substantive verbs? tense markers?),
        and modals (preterite-presents? subjunctive-indicatives? mood markers?).
        You'll find respective tables in
        Braune/Ebbinghaus § 196 pp.
        Mossé § 154 pp.
        Krause § 247 pp.
        Stamm/Heyne § 140 pp.
        Streitberg § 220 pp.
        or, if you don't know French or German so well: Wright § 332 pp.
        Hope this helps; Chris

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/gothic-l

      • David Salo
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 1999
          >Now for the question: the lexicon seems to imply that the auxiliary verbs
          >have their own conjugations, but I was unable to find all the forms.
          >Could someone just send me a table of modal/auxiliary verb conjugations,
          >or point me to where I can find such?

          witan "to know"
          witands, witandei, witando "knowing"
          Pres. Subj. Pret. Pr.Subj.
          wait witjau wissa wissedjau
          waist witeis wisses wissedeis
          wait witi wissa wissedi
          witu witeiwa wissedu wissedeiwa
          wituts witeits wisseduts wissedeits
          witum witeima wissedum wissedeima
          wituþ witeiþ wisseduþ wissedeiþ
          witun witeina wissedun wissedeina

          The dual and plural forms of the present and preterite always have the same
          stem as their respective subjunctives.
          The 2nd. singular present ending is -t; when the stem ends in the consonant
          t or d, the ending takes the form -st (and the stem ending is lost).

          *lisan "to know"
          *lisands, etc. "knowing"
          lais *lisjau *lista *listedjau ...etc.

          *dugan "it is good for, it profits"
          *dugands, etc. "being good for"
          daug *dugjau *duhta *duhtedjau... etc.

          kunnan "to know"
          kunnands, etc. "knowing"
          kunþs, kunþa, kunþ "known"
          kann *kunjau kunþa kunþedjau ...etc. (2nd sg. pres:
          kannt or kant)

          *þaurban "to need"
          þaurbands, etc. "needing"
          þaurfts, etc. "necessary"
          þarf þaurbjau þaurfta þaurftedjau ...etc.

          gadaursan "to dare"
          *gadaursands, etc. "daring"
          gadars gadaursjau gadaursta gadaurstedjau ...etc.

          skulan "to owe"
          skulands, etc. "owing"
          skulds, etc. "(what) ought to be done"
          skal skuljau skulda skuldedjau ...etc.

          munan "to think"
          munands, etc. "thinking"
          munds, etc. "(having been) thought"
          man munjau munda mundedjau ...etc.

          *nauhan "to be permitted"
          *nauhands, etc. "being permitted"
          nauhts, etc. "sufficient"
          nah *nauhjau *nauhta *nauhtedjau ...etc.

          magan "to be able"
          magands, etc. "being able, capable"
          mahts, etc. "possible"
          mag magjau mahta mahtedjau ...etc. (2nd sg.
          pres. magt)

          *gamotan "to find room" ("be permitted"? cf. OE motan)
          gamot gamotjau *gamosta *gamostedjau ...etc.

          agan "to fear"
          agands, etc. "fearing"
          og ogjau ohta ohtedjau ...etc.
          imperative singular ogs "fear thou"; plural ogeiþ "fear ye"

          aihan "to have"
          aigands, etc. "having"
          *aihts, etc. "owned" (cf. aihts, f. "property")
          aih aigjau aihta aihtedjau
          *aiht aigeis aihtes aihtedeis
          aih aigi aihta aihtedi
          aigu aigeiwa aihtedu aihtedeiwa
          aiguts aigeits aihteduts aihtedeits
          aigum aigeima aihtedum aihtedeima
          aiguþ aigeiþ aihteduþ aihtedeiþ
          aigun aigeina aihtedun aihtedeina

          h for g, or vice versa, is occasionally found in forms of this verb

          wisan "to be"
          wisands "being"
          wisans "been"
          im sijau was wesjau
          is sijais wast weseis
          ist sijai was wesi
          siju sijaiwa wesu weseiwa
          sijuts sijaits wesuts weseits
          sijum sijaima wesum weseima
          sijuþ sijaiþ wesuþ weseiþ
          sind sijaina wesun weseina

          wiljan "to will, to wish, to want"
          wiljands "wishing, willing, wanting"
          wiljau wilda wildedjau
          wileis wildes wildedeis
          wili wilda wildedi
          wileiwa wildedu wildedeiwa
          wileits wildeduts wildedeits
          wileima wildedum wildedeima
          wileiþ wildeduþ wildedeiþ
          wileina wildedun wildedeina

          No subjunctive form distinct from the present seems to exist.

          /\ WISTR LAG WIGS RAIHTS
          \/ WRAIQS NU IST <> David Salo
          <dsalo@...> <>

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/gothic-l