Re: Germanic Romance

  • Brian Gendler
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2000
      Hello, my name is Gendler. I am new to this list. I have been lurking
      for a week or so and going through the archives of the list. That is
      quite the task! Anyway, I am not finished so excuse me is I break a
      protocol or two. My interests lie both in Gothic language and history,
      but I am far from a professional linguist. My interest is more general,
      on the Germanic and Indo-European people as a whole. I am attempting to
      learn German first (a slow process right now), then maybe a more
      concerted effort on Gothic.

      "M. Carver" wrote:
      > I thought I would begin sharing some borrowings of Gothic words into Romance
      > languages.
      [heavily snipped]

      > -Mat├żaius

      For people interested in such a subject, I just recently photocopied
      an article out of the University of Pennsylvania library that might be
      of interest.
      Henry and Renee Kahane, "Germanic Derivations of Romance Words,"
      Journal of English and Germanic Philology #60 (1961) pp. 460-476.
      I have yet to read it, but it looked interesting when I came across
      it so I grabbed it for future perusal.
      I hope this is of some help, and that you can find it. You might need
      a University library.
      'Till next time,
      Gendler.
    • wjaiv@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 29, 2001
        Are you the same Brian Gendler that lived in Mt. Laurel, NJ around
        1982?