textbooks; diaeresis on {i}

  • MCLSSAA2@fs2.mt.umist.ac.uk
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2000
      --- In gothic-l@egroups.com, mcarver@c... wrote:
      > (1) The most accessible textbook-like resource in English would
      likely
      > be Bennett's "An Introduction to the Gothic Language." It has some
      > linguistic lessons and a lexicon as well as graded readings.

      I asked at a nearby big bookshop (in Manchester in England), and
      their
      computer said that this book is out of print in England and in merica.

      Perhaps diaeresis on initial {i} started in the usual "this is not a
      diphthong" role where the previous word ended in a vowel.
    • M. Carver
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2000
        Really? I had to order mine through Amazon.com UK (along with Wright's
        Grammar...) just a year and a half ago, but I still got it. I think Bennett
        was published in '98.

        David has some lessons online which should be very helpful if you
        can't get a published resource -- and they probably have less errata than
        Bennett's lessons ;)

        -Matþaius.

        > I asked at a nearby big bookshop (in Manchester in England), and
        > their
        > computer said that this book is out of print in England and in merica.
      • David Salo
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2000
          Matþaius wrote:
          >David has some lessons online which should be very helpful if you
          >can't get a published resource

          These lessons, as far as they go, are available at
          http://www.terracom.net~dorothea/david/gothic. Once again, thanks for this
          site are due to Dorothea Salo, who put the files into HTML and designed the
          pages.

          /\ WISTR LAG WIGS RAIHTS
          \/ WRAIQS NU IST <> David Salo
          <dsalo@...> <>
        • M. Carver
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2000
            > Matþaius wrote:
            >> David has some lessons online which should be very helpful if you
            >> can't get a published resource
            >
            > These lessons, as far as they go, are available at
            > http://www.terracom.net~dorothea/david/gothic. Once again, thanks for this
            > site are due to Dorothea Salo, who put the files into HTML and designed the
            > pages.

            Ah yes. In case that doesn't work for someone and you don't know why, try
            putting a forwardslash between t and ~:

            http://www.terracom.net~dorothea/david/gothic

            Thanks again Dave and Dorothea

            --Matþaius
          • David Salo
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3, 2000
              Matþaius wrote:

              >Ah yes. In case that doesn't work for someone and you don't know why, try
              >putting a forwardslash between t and ~:

              Awiliudo þuk for the correction, Matþaius; the correct address should be:

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 3, 2000
                I thought I would begin sharing some borrowings of Gothic words into Romance
                languages. Here I give you A-F (by Gothic words) that have been borrowed
                into such languages as Provencal (Pv), French (Fr), Basque, Old French
                (OFr), Spanish (Sp), Portuguese (Pt), Catalan (Ct), Italian (It), Byzantine
                Greek (Byz), Montenegran (Mont), and Breton (Br) and probably some I forgot.
                I'll try to give you new letters of the alphabet regularly every month or
                so.

                -Matþaius

                PS I apologize in advance for the messy formatting.

                agatja magpie agasa Pv; agace Fr
                agkja pipe, leg anche Fr
                aifrs terrible afre OFr; afru Cors; afro OBr
                aiskon ask assar Mont; eskatu Bas;
                alisna awl lesina It; alesne OFr; alesna Prov, Sp
                aliza alder aleso Sp
                anahaspan wind up annaspare It
                atleweins treason aleive Port
                baggwiÝa dwelling baita HIt; baito Lang; baita, bei Gasc
                bagks bench banco It; banc Fr, Pv, Ct; banco Sp, Pt
                bala blazed horse ba¹las Byz
                barsiks perch (a fish) perseg Ct
                baugs ring bauc Pv; bou OFr
                baursti bristle, brush bruza Sp; broca Pt
                bausei malice boise OFr; bauza Pv
                bautan beat buttar It
                bazjan make bare, weaken basir Poit; sbasire It
                bega quarrel bega It
                bigardio garden caio breialo Gall
                bilisa henbane (a plant) belsa Pv; velesa Sp
                blagks white, shining bianco It
                blas- torch, flame blasir Pv
                blauts bare biotto It
                blunds blond biondo It; blond OFr; blon Pv
                bramjan roar bramire It
                brammon roar bramar Pv; bramer Fr; bramare It
                brands fire brandon Fr; brando Pv; brander OFr; brandar Pv
                brands sword brando It; brant OFr; bran Pv; brandir Fr, Pv
                brasa coal braza NIt, Pt; brese OFr; braise NFr; brasa Pr, Ct, Sp
                brauÝ bread broa Pt
                bridila platter, stool bardela Emil; bredola, berdola Pv; predola
                Tosc; bredule Friaul; predella It
                bristan burst bresta¹ SFr
                briÝ board broi Pv, Bret, OFr
                brugdjan swing brozi Lyon; bruzda¹ Gilh
                brukja fragment brossa Ct; brousso Pv
                bruns brown, shining bruno It; brun Fr, Pv
                brustjan bud brostar Ct
                bruton bud brotar Pv
                bruts bud brot Pv; brou Fr
                bruÝ soup brodo It; bro Pv; breu OFr, brou Ct
                bruzdon embroider brustare It; brosder OFr; broidar Pv; brozlar Gal
                buks belly buc OFr, Pv, Ct
                burjo building bourio, bouro Sp
                buska log, piece of wood büska Lomb; vusca Siz; buche Fr; busca Pv, Ct
                darnjan conceal adarnir Parm, It
                druÝs cosy, lovely drudo It; drut OFr, Pv
                dwaligon deceive galiar Pv, Ct; galiador Sp
                emaitja ant maz, Fr (dial.)
                falda fold falda It; fauda Pv; falda Ct, Pt
                falws pale fauve Fr
                fiusa bacon, fat fioza Pv
                filtur felt feltra It; feutre Pv; fieltro Sp
                frisks fresh fresco It, Sp; frais Fr; fresc Pv, Ct
                fulk crowd, army fouc Fr, Pv; folco It, Piem
              • Manuel Gutierrez Algaba
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 3, 2000
                  On Sun, 3 Sep 2000, M. Carver wrote:

                  > I thought I would begin sharing some borrowings of Gothic words into Romance
                  > languages. Here I give you A-F (by Gothic words) that have been borrowed
                  > into such languages as Provencal (Pv), French (Fr), Basque, Old French
                  > (OFr), Spanish (Sp), Portuguese (Pt), Catalan (Ct), Italian (It), Byzantine
                  > Greek (Byz), Montenegran (Mont), and Breton (Br) and probably some I forgot.
                  > I'll try to give you new letters of the alphabet regularly every month or
                  > so.

                  Well, sometimes , it may happen Gothic-->French-->Spanish

                  > PS I apologize in advance for the messy formatting.
                  >
                  > agatja magpie agasa Pv; agace Fr

                  We have "agasajar", to give gifts , to honour a guest. Prob. from
                  gothic. agasajo, too

                  > aifrs terrible afre OFr; afru Cors; afro OBr

                  We have "cafre" , a terrible person, but it's from another origin!

                  > aiskon ask assar Mont; eskatu Bas;

                  Aizk means stone in Basque, I think. Being Basq a Stone Age language
                  I don't think their _key_word to be from outside origin.

                  > alisna awl lesina It; alesne OFr; alesna Prov, Sp

                  We have also "alosno", I think is a tree.

                  > aliza alder aleso Sp
                  > anahaspan wind up annaspare It

                  We have "aspavientos" which is big exagerated movements and cries
                  and load voices done by someone.

                  > bagks bench banco It; banc Fr, Pv, Ct; banco Sp, Pt

                  gk sounds like a nk or like a ng, here ?

                  > bala blazed horse ba¹las Byz

                  We have "bala" which is "bullet", a damned fast thing.

                  > barsiks perch (a fish) perseg Ct

                  We have a "perca", which is a fish too.

                  > baursti bristle, brush bruza Sp; broca Pt

                  We have "broca" too, a "broca" is a cylinder shaped piece of iron,
                  which is the point in a pistol that makes the broca turns so you
                  can make holes in the walls.

                  > bautan beat buttar It

                  We have "botar", "botar un balon" is to make a ball bounce,
                  botar means "kick" too.

                  > bazjan make bare, weaken basir Poit; sbasire It

                  We have "bajar", which means "go down". Yo bajo las escaleras=
                  I go down the stairs.

                  > bigardio garden caio breialo Gall

                  We have "jardin"

                  > bilisa henbane (a plant) belsa Pv; velesa Sp

                  We have "embelesar", which is to enchant , to do a bit of
                  witchery, is a henbane a magical plant ??

                  > blagks white, shining bianco It
                  We have "blanco"

                  > blas- torch, flame blasir Pv

                  We have "blason", "blason" is the cote d arms, The shield that
                  represents the heraldy of a noble family.

                  > bramjan roar bramire It

                  We have "bramar"

                  > brands sword brando It; brant OFr; bran Pv; brandir Fr, Pv

                  We have "blandir", which is "to move the sword"

                  > brustjan bud brostar Ct
                  > bruton bud brotar Pv

                  We have "brotar", a plant "brota" from the soil.

                  > bruzdon embroider brustare It; brosder OFr; broidar Pv; brozlar Gal

                  We have "embrollo"== mess

                  > falda fold falda It; fauda Pv; falda Ct, Pt
                  Spanish too, "falda"==skirt

                  Why don't you put such a list in a web page?

                  BTW, I've seen David's course of gothic. Gothic seems very
                  easy, specially verb vocabulary. Declinations are other story...

                  Regards/Saludos
                  Manolo
                  www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina /TeEncontreX.html /texpython.htm
                  /pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm ICQ:77697936 (sirve el ICQ para algo?)

                  Every program has (at least) two purposes: the one for which it was written and another for which it wasn't.
                • MCLSSAA2@fs2.mt.umist.ac.uk
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 4, 2000
                    --- In gothic-l@egroups.com, David Salo <dsalo@s...> wrote:
                    > These lessons, as far as they go, are available at
                    > http://www.terracom.net~dorothea/david/gothic. Once again, thanks

                    I accessed that address and I got this:-
                    ERROR
                    While trying to retrieve the URL:
                    http://www.terracom.net~dorothea/david/gothic
                    The following error was encountered:
                    Invalid URL
                    Some aspect of the requested URL is incorrect. Possible problems:
                    Missing or incorrect access protocol (should be `http://'' or
                    similar)
                    Missing hostname
                    Illegal double-escape in the URL-Path
                    Illegal character in hostname; underscores are not allowed
                  • Manuel Gutierrez Algaba
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 4, 2000
                      On Sun, 3 Sep 2000, M. Carver wrote:
                      > baursti bristle, brush bruza Sp; broca Pt

                      We have "desbrozar", which means to remove bush and lower plants
                      in a forest, or to clean a land for agriculture.

                      Regards/Saludos
                      Manolo
                      www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina /TeEncontreX.html /texpython.htm
                      /pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm ICQ:77697936 (sirve el ICQ para algo?)

                      Slous' Contention: If you do a job too well, you'll get stuck with it.