Gothic names for Germanic mythical places

  • Le Bateman
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 19, 2000
      Nastrand is the Norse name for Shore of Corpses AS is Neostrand, Neofelham
      is NifleHeim, Asgardhr, Esagearden, Midgardhr, Middengearden Jotenheim,
      Eotenham, Alfheim, Aelfham, can anyone tell me what the Gothic names would
      have been. AS Eormersyll for Yggsdrasill. The Saxon word was Irmrsulle. I do
      assume that the Goths had the same beliefs as other Germanic peoples. The
      underworld had nine worlds, one vemon from snakes dripped on the wicked dead
      that might have been in Neostrand. What would the Gothic word for the Aesir
      be.
      Eses is the plural AS for God.
      Thancword
      Le

    • David Salo
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 22, 2000
        Le Bateman wrote: can anyone tell me what the Gothic names would have been?

        > Nastrand is the Norse name for Shore of Corpses AS is Neostrand,

        *Nawastranda

        >Neofelham is NifleHeim

        *Nibilahaims

        Asgardhr, Esagearden,

        *Ansigards or *Ansugards

        >Midgardhr, Middengearden

        Midjungards (attested)

        >Jotenheim, Eotenham

        *Itunahaims

        > Alfheim, Aelfham

        *Albahaims or *Albihaims

        >AS Eormersyll for Yggsdrasill. The Saxon word was Irmrsulle.

        *Airmanasuls (I guess)

        Many of your Old English forms are not, I believe, attested and some
        must be misspelled.

        /\ WISTR LAG WIGS RAIHTS
        \/ WRAIQS NU IST <> David Salo
        <dsalo@...> <>