Re: [gothic-l] active use of language

  • Manuel Gutierrez Algaba
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 16, 2000
      On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, M. Carver wrote:
      > Hails, Inge
      >
      > For my part, I read the books on the subject. When reading Gothic, I
      > read aloud so as to get a feel for the sound, rhythm.

      Some comments here. Modern germanic languages (english, nederlanden,
      norsk, svenska) have a very different phonetic system than
      Gothic. Those modern languages tend to use more diphtongs and vowels
      and semivowels. Deutsch have conserved more the phonetics of them.
      So, I wonder how could sound Gothic. Moreover, Germanic is told to
      be a common ancestor with lithuanian, which certainly stresses
      some vowels over others, but it's not the phonetic nightmare of
      english ( for example). Well, I don't know much of lithuanian, but
      that's my first impression.

      > Doing a few
      > translation projects and reading the Gothic corpus will allow one to
      > familiarize oneself with the vocabulary, grammar and syntax to such an
      > extent that the basic language is at hand.

      I imagine that all this have been extracted from the bible. In this
      case, I wonder how different was "spoken" language from the
      "normalized" written language.

      Regards/Saludos
      Manolo
      www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina /TeEncontreX.html /texpython.htm
      /pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm ICQ:77697936 (sirve el ICQ para algo?)

      QOTD: Money isn't everything, but at least it keeps the kids in touch.