Re: [gothic-l] What ever became of the Ostrogoths???

  • Manuel Gutierrez Algaba
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 16, 2000
      On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Axeage wrote:
      > I'd like to know what happened to the Ostrogoths after their defeat
      > to Belisarius and the Byzantine armies in the 550's AD. Some books
      > say that they remained in Italy and eventually assimilated into the
      > rest of the population; others say that they were forced to leave
      > Italy, but give no details as to where; while others say that they
      > indeed left Italy and joined up with their fellow Gothic kinsmen in
      > Spain....

      I heard somewhere that they were mostly killed. Of course, some of
      them were assimilated. And I never heard of migrations of Ostrogoths
      from Italy. Even Visigoths never "occupied", never had a clear
      presence in Spain. They settled in SouthEast France (Septimania)
      and in the Center of Spain, and of course, small troops in every
      major city of Hispania. Visigothics beat down Suevus in Galicia
      (north west) and they let live there. With Franks, Borgonians (sorry
      for the name) in South France and Lombards (?), besides Bizantinus
      in the seas. I can't see a way out for Ostrogoths. Italians themselves
      regard very little to this people. It's a sane idea to keep in
      mind that these tribes were seldom above 100,000 individuals.
      With two bad battles ( or even one, with Teutons in Aquila
      Sextiae 60 B.C. ) these people could dissapear from the face of
      earth. Assimilation was not easy those days. Even Visigothics who
      had the longest period of contact with the Roman Empire and were
      probably the most latinized germanic people , even them had two
      codes of law one for themselves and one for the rest of people,
      when they ruled in Spain. I fear that people didn't like them
      very much, specially in Italy, where the rule of Rome were so near
      and fresh.

      > (good/bad terms). Does anyone know what happened???

      Dead.

      Regards/Saludos
      Manolo
      www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina /TeEncontreX.html /texpython.htm
      /pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm ICQ:77697936 (sirve el ICQ para algo?)

      QOTD: Money isn't everything, but at least it keeps the kids in touch.
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 17, 2000
        Hails!

        After the defeat of the Ostrogoths by the Byzantines, beside those
        killed in the war, those remained in Italy and assimilated, and those
        who joined the Visigoths in Spain, it seems that there were also some
        that fled northwards and joined the Bavarians (see also my message to
        this list no. 2225, Subject: Gothic and Old Bavarian).

        Francisc