[gothic-l] Correcting Streitberg's text

  • Landau David
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 1998
      I'd like to draw the attention of members of the list that I've started correcting Streitberg's text, as far as Codex Argenteus is concerned:

      http://www.cs.tut.fi/~dla/Codex_Argenteus/Cod_Arg.html

      I think that there should be one text which as close to the original as possible and then everybody else can edit and correct as much as he or she wants - under his or her name. Streitberg's text, as far as I've noticed while comparing it to the original Codex, has too many unacceptable 'correction.'
      I'll be more than happy to get comments.
      David Landau
    • Christian Petersen
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 10, 1998
        Landau David wrote:
        > I think that there should be one text which as close to the original as possible and then everybody else can edit and correct as much as he or she wants - under his or her name. Streitberg's text, as far as I've noticed while comparing it to the original Codex, has too many unacceptable 'correction.'
        > I'll be more than happy to get comments.
        O.K., so here is mine:
        I fully agree with your statements. As a minor point, the references
        lack the mentioned essay by Lars Munkhammar. Could you please specify?
        Streitberg has doubtlessly been one of the greatest Germanicists ever.
        Nonetheless, he made mistakes, as you have pointed out. Another one
        being the postulation of THE one and only Greek text underlying the
        Wulfilian version. So his deficiencies were not in knowledge, but in
        methodology, and thus drawing some wrong conclusions.
        Greetings over the Baltic; Chris