[gothic-l] Re: Gutish v. Gutnish; Additions to Neologism Page.

  • tomas.kindahl@saab.se
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 18, 1999
      >> 1. Are we trying to ...[snip]...
      >>
      >> 2. Are we simulating sort of a ...[snip]...
      >>
      >> 3. Are we creating a working ...[snip]...
      >
      >Probably more of no. 2 than anything else. I don't believe your
      >unfounded slight on Christianity in no.

      I think we may leave religious discussion for other fora. Sorry for
      the note, but that is what i believe, and i have a few reasons for
      it. Send me a private mail if you need to know/discuss why.

      >1 renders that possibility valid. No. 3 grants too many variables.
      >Something more after the style of Icelandic neologism earlier this
      >century. If you want to see more on
      >this, refer to
      >
      > http://www.csulb.edu/~mcarver/proposal.html

      Read. But can't we also tag all word proposals with letters (any
      numbers/letters/designations would of course do), depending for what
      purpose anyone might use the extended dictionary?:

      1. realistic (words probable by the 4-5th century Visigothic
      situation: the ruling class of Spain, religious words borrowed
      from Greek and Latin, administrative words borrowed from Latin,
      science (of the Archimedes/Ptolemaios level) borrowed from Greek,
      a.s.o.);

      2. modern usage (need caused by us using Gothic in modern time);

      3. Germanistic orientation, picking words from other Germanic
      languages in order to gain sort of a purity;

      A word might then be suitable for more than one of those usages.

      >> - "huairbils" < *huerbilaz > [ hverfill (icelandic), virvel
      >> (swedish), *whirble (alternate Universe English) ] vortex.

      I just forgot that 'whirl' is a proper modern English word.

      >For "instead of": in stada (+ genitive)

      Yes of course, i didn't think of that.

      >For "raven": hrab(a)ns possibly hrabns

      I think there is a 24-type rune stone with the text "harabanaR" and
      nothing more.

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/gothic-l