[gothic-l] Re: books

  • Christian Petersen
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 1998
      Eric Craven wrote:

      > does anyone know An Introduction to the Gothic Language by
      > Bennet/Lehmann (1981)?
      > or any other good books on language and syntax? i got just an old 50
      > page manual (i guess from 1910/20), so any help would be appreciated.

      The work by William Holmes Bennett has been published several times,
      e.g.:
      1972: Ann Arbor: Ulrich's Books, Incorporated
      1981: New York: Modern Language Association
      If you know German, the 'Gotische Grammatik' by Wilhelm Braune & Ernst
      Ebbinghaus would probably be the most useful one (not only because I'm
      working on it, but because they take the recent results in account).
      Other common standards are e.g. Krause (German), Mossé (French), and
      Streitberg (German [Swiss actually]).
      Chris
    • Eric Craven
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 1998
        Christian Petersen wrote:

        > Eric Craven wrote:
        > >
        > > does anyone know An Introduction to the Gothic Language by
        > > Bennet/Lehmann (1981)?
        > > or any other good books on language and syntax? i got just an old 50
        > > page manual (i guess from 1910/20), so any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > The work by William Holmes Bennett has been published several times,
        > e.g.:
        > 1972: Ann Arbor: Ulrich's Books, Incorporated
        > 1981: New York: Modern Language Association
        > If you know German, the 'Gotische Grammatik' by Wilhelm Braune & Ernst
        > Ebbinghaus would probably be the most useful one (not only because I'm
        > working on it, but because they take the recent results in account).

        is it
        Neugotische Grammatik mit Lesestücken und Wörterverzeichnis. ( Sammlung
        kurzer Grammatiken germ. Dialekte.)
        ??
        why is it
        "new gothic"??

        > Other common standards are e.g. Krause (German), Mossé (French), and
        > Streitberg (German [Swiss actually]).
        > Chris

        tx

      • Christian Petersen
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 1998
          > > The work by William Holmes Bennett has been published several times,
          > > e.g.:
          > > 1972: Ann Arbor: Ulrich's Books, Incorporated
          > > 1981: New York: Modern Language Association
          > > If you know German, the 'Gotische Grammatik' by Wilhelm Braune & Ernst
          > > Ebbinghaus would probably be the most useful one.
          > is it
          > Neugotische Grammatik mit Lesestücken und Wörterverzeichnis. ( Sammlung
          > kurzer Grammatiken germ. Dialekte.)
          > ??
          > why is it
          > "new gothic"??
          It's not; your source must be wrong. One rather should ask, why
          Bennett's work has been published by the MODERN Language Association.
          However, you may look for BRAUNE/HELM/EBBINGHAUS:
          Gotische Grammatik - mit Lesestücken und Wörterverzeichnis;
          [Sammlung kurzer Grammatiken germanischer Dialekte A 1]
          Tübingen (Max Niemeyer Verlag) 1981, in the 19th edition.
          Take Care; Chris