Gothic shipbuilding and naval warfare

  • Bertil Häggman
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2000
      Le Bateman,

      Thank you for bringing up the matter
      of Goths and the sea. This is one of the
      main areas of my interest and I am preparing
      an article in the field. The Goti and the Eruli
      had extensive naval activities in the Black
      Sea and the eastern Mediterranean in the
      250s. This has prompted some authorities
      to claim that the Goti and Eruli were pre-
      Vikings (for instance Professor Pritsak)
      and I fully agree. In the early stages the
      Goti and Eruli cooperated with the Bosporani
      for ships but later some form of shipbuilding
      may have taken place. The ships of the
      Bosporani were rather small compared
      to the oceangoing vikings ships of the
      Norwegians. The Ostrogoti operated fleets
      in the Adriatic agains Byzantine naval
      forces.

      The large exhibition on the Vikings in
      Washington DC this year in commemoration
      of the millenium of the discovery of America
      by Leif Erikson refutes all theories of the
      Viking having ventured south of th eSt. Lawrence
      Bay in Canada.

      If you have the opportunity visit the National
      Museum of Natural History Viking Exhibition
      (April 29 - August 13).

      Buy the Smithsonian Institution Press catalogue
      _Vikings. The North Atlantic Saga_ (ed. William W.
      Fitzhugh & Elisabeth I Ward), 432 pages and
      richly illustrated.

      The Kengsington Runestone is a fraud,
      in my humble opinion. But with runes we
      are somewhat off the Gothic subject,