Re: [gothic-l] Gothic shipbuilding

  • keth@online.no
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1 12:04 AM
      Le Bateman wrote:
      > Did the Goths like the Nosreman have the knowledge to build seagoing
      >ships, or was their primary means of travel by horse. Just was wodering if
      >they ever ventured across the Atlantic to my neck of the woods not
      >necessarily Alabama, but anywhere in the Continnental U.S.A. Could the
      >Kensington Rune stones in Minnesota have been Gothic instead of Norse.
      >Experts are studying those. Anyone ever heard of a Dr. Richard Nielson who
      >lives in California, but was at a University in Denamrk at one time. A
      >Runologist at the Universtiy of Oslo also is studying these.
      >Le

      I recall reading that the Heruls undertook naval operations in
      the 3rd century (Black Sea/Mediterranean are). Also, some centuries
      later the Vandals built a large fleet and became a major naval
      power in the Mediterranean, based in North Africa. Historians
      have expressed amazement at how quickly the Vandals were able
      to master the necessary naval skills, since they, as a people,
      had then been land-based for several centuries.

      The only "experts" who are now studying the Kensington runestone
      are those ignorant of modern Swedish, because that is the language
      on the Kensington stone. If your mother language is one of the modern
      Scandinavian languages and you are familiar with how these differ
      from Medieval Scandinavian, a simple transcription of the Kensington
      text will convince you that although the stone may be old, the text isn't.

      Best regards
      Keth