Gothic Food

  • jdm314@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2000
      Here's an interesting bit of trivia, and probably the only item I'll ever get
      to crosspost between the Gothic List and the Apicius List:

      According to Anthimus, On The Observance of Foods, section 64 ... "Fit
      etiam de hordeo opus bonum, quod nos graece dicimus 'alfita' Latine vero
      'polentam', Gothi vero barbarice 'fenea'" (A good dish is also made from
      barly, which we call "alfita" in greek, but in Latin "polenta", and the Goths
      in their Barbarian tongue "fenea")
      "Polenta" is normally taken to be some sort of barley stew. Pliny
      describes it in Historia Naturalis. Another word used in this same passage, a
      bit earlier than my quote is tisana, which must be ptisana "barley soup"
      (ptisana is definitely a stew, though I'm a bit confused about exactly what
      polenta is, to tell the truth!)
      Anyway, there's a nice bit of info for you followers of ancient cuisine,
      and a nifty new vocab word (though of questionable usefulness) for you Gothic
      language enthusiasts!

      IVSTINVS/IUSTEINUS

      ps. In case you're wondering, Koebler can't figure out any etymology, but he
      guesses *finja for the original Gothic form.