On Goths, Old and New

  • Bertil Häggman
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2000
      Keth,

      Was watching on TV the guests arrive to the
      gala dinner of Queen Margarethe II of Denmark,
      (her 60th birthday). Saw a glimpse of the
      Norwegian King too, and the Swedish, naturally.

      Well, I am glad you figured things out. I am not
      an expert of the question of the punk movement,
      but I think no. Goths are Goths, their stuff came
      much later, I presume.

      >It took me a while to grasp what you are saying here.
      >But after I "got it" (I think), let me ask you a question:
      >What about the "punk" movement? (England 1977)
      >Does it too classify as part of the "gothic"?

      I just mentioned a few examples. There are many
      others and I guess Poe would qualify, but he was'nt
      Victorian. He is American, you know.

      >What about Edgar Allan Poe? Was he mentioned as well?
      >I actually did read some stories by Robert Louis Stevenson.
      >Does "Treasure Island" belong to the "gothic" proper?
      >I would certainly think "Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde" does!
      >And what about an author like Algernon Blackwood, is
      >he mentioned there too?

      My answer to that would be yes. You have to add
      at least a portion of horror.

      >To test the concept a bit further, let me ask you about
      >"Ivanhoe". No, I guess that would be *merely* romantic
      >and *not* gothic. Am I right?

      Gothically

      Bertil