Re: [gothic-l] On Goths, Old and New

  • keth@online.no
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16 7:53 AM
      >Dear Listmembers,
      >
      >We have all noticed the struggle of our esteemed
      >gothic-l manager to cope from time to time with
      >Gothic barbarians breaking into the list. Now there
      >is a chance to follow the devlopment of the Gothic
      >from the old to the new. See my short little review
      >of a newly published book.
      >
      >Gothically
      >
      >Bertil

      Hello Bertil, Happy Easter!

      It took me a while to grasp what you are saying here.
      But after I "got it" (I think), let me ask you a question:
      What about the "punk" movement? (England 1977)
      Does it too classify as part of the "gothic"?

      >Robert Mighall, A Geography of Victorian Gothic Fiction, 312 pages.

      Well, 300 pages is a lot if it is mostly about 19th century litterature.
      Still..

      >Hawthorne, Dickens, M.E. Braddon, Wilkie
      >Collins, R.L. Stevenson and of course Bram Stoker.

      What about Edgar Allan Poe? Was he mentioned as well?
      I actually did read some stories by Robert Louis Stevenson.
      Does "Treasure Island" belong to the "gothic" proper?
      I would certainly think "Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde" does!
      And what about an author like Algernon Blackwood, is
      he mentioned there too?

      To test the concept a bit further, let me ask you about
      "Ivanhoe". No, I guess that would be *merely* romantic
      and *not* gothic. Am I right?

      Best regards
      Keth