Re: [gothic-l] Re: My Gothic Name Page

  • M. Carver
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2000
      "got@..." wrote:

      > --- In gothic-l@egroups.com, Tim O'Neill <scatha@b...> wrote:
      >
      > Hails Tim and Matthaius!
      > I found your namelist very useful and interesting Tim.
      > You mentioned a name, "Alatheus". Maybe it´s put together by a
      > gothic "Ala-"all, and latin "deus" god, Allgod.
      > BTW, I will try to send some pictures soon.
      >
      > Gutwulfs
      > Håkan Liljeberg

      Good guess, Gutwulf. I think the ala- prefix is definitely right. The
      meaning All-god would certainly not contrast with the Goths' practice of
      grandiose names. But I have trouble seeing how they would incorporate
      Deus into their native name. Rather, looking first at possible Gothic
      (or unattested Gothic) elements, it could be *thiw- or *thiu-, meaning
      perhaps custom, law, or virtue (OE theaw), subjugation, crushing or
      conquering (OE theow-an), or perhaps be in some way connected with
      *thiud- people/tribe. Looking at other Gothic names, the meaning
      "All-virtue" or "All-enslaving" are not a great stretch of imagination.

      Cheers,
      Matþaius
    • Tim O'Neill
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2000
        "M. Carver" wrote:

        > "got@..." wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In gothic-l@egroups.com, Tim O'Neill <scatha@b...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hails Tim and Matthaius!
        > > I found your namelist very useful and interesting Tim.
        > > You mentioned a name, "Alatheus". Maybe it´s put together by a
        > > gothic "Ala-"all, and latin "deus" god, Allgod.
        > > BTW, I will try to send some pictures soon.
        > >
        > > Gutwulfs
        > > Håkan Liljeberg
        >
        > Good guess, Gutwulf. I think the ala- prefix is definitely right. The
        > meaning All-god would certainly not contrast with the Goths' practice of
        > grandiose names. But I have trouble seeing how they would incorporate
        > Deus into their native name. Rather, looking first at possible Gothic
        > (or unattested Gothic) elements, it could be *thiw- or *thiu-, meaning
        > perhaps custom, law, or virtue (OE theaw), subjugation, crushing or
        > conquering (OE theow-an), or perhaps be in some way connected with
        > *thiud- people/tribe. Looking at other Gothic names, the meaning
        > "All-virtue" or "All-enslaving" are not a great stretch of imagination.

        Thanks to you both. I toyed with the 'deus' idea myself, but Matt's
        suggestions sound more plausible. One day soon I hope to post a list of
        'untranslatable' Gothic names for list members to pull apart.
        Cheers,

        Tim O'Neill
        Tasmanian Devil
      • David Salo
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2000
          Matþaius melida:

          >I think the ala- prefix is definitely right. The
          >meaning All-god would certainly not contrast with the Goths' practice of
          >grandiose names. But I have trouble seeing how they would incorporate
          >Deus into their native name. Rather, looking first at possible Gothic
          >(or unattested Gothic) elements, it could be *thiw- or *thiu-, meaning
          >perhaps custom, law, or virtue (OE theaw), subjugation, crushing or
          >conquering (OE theow-an), or perhaps be in some way connected with
          >*thiud- people/tribe.

          Or thius "servant", OE theow, an element sometimes used (cf. the name of
          Beowulf's father Ecgtheow "Sword-servant", Go. !Agjathius).

          /\ WISTR LAG WIGS RAIHTS
          \/ WRAIQS NU IST <> David Salo
          <dsalo@...> <>
        • Tim O'Neill
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2000
            David Salo wrote:

            > Matþaius melida:
            >
            > >I think the ala- prefix is definitely right. The
            > >meaning All-god would certainly not contrast with the Goths' practice of
            > >grandiose names. But I have trouble seeing how they would incorporate
            > >Deus into their native name. Rather, looking first at possible Gothic
            > >(or unattested Gothic) elements, it could be *thiw- or *thiu-, meaning
            > >perhaps custom, law, or virtue (OE theaw), subjugation, crushing or
            > >conquering (OE theow-an), or perhaps be in some way connected with
            > >*thiud- people/tribe.
            >
            > Or thius "servant", OE theow, an element sometimes used (cf. the name
            > of Beowulf's father Ecgtheow "Sword-servant", Go. !Agjathius).

            I think I like that idea even beter - making the Greuthugian chief's
            name 'Alhathius' (temple-servant). Some say 'Alatheus' is actually an
            Iranian name, which makes him a Sarmatian or Alan. His companion and
            co-leader of the Greuthugnian refugees of 376 AD is Saphrax, which
            certainly seems to be a Sarmato-Alanic name. I think David's hypothesis
            gives his name a perfectly good Gothic etymology.

            How about this one: in his part of the war against the Huns in 376
            Athanaric ('*Athanareik(s)') sent an advance party of Tervingian
            warriors east over the Dneister to scout for the advancing Hunnic
            army. It was led by Munderic and Lagariman.

            '-mund' is a common Germanic final nymic element (eg 'Sigemund') and
            is found elsewhere as a initial element (there was a Frankish chief
            in the fifth century who was also called Munderic). Is it related
            to the Gothic 'gamunds' = remembrance? Is this chief therefore
            '*Mundareik(s)'? The '-man' element of the second name suggests
            an obvious meaning, but the initial 'Lagari-' element has me
            stumped. All I can think of is the verb 'lagjan' = to lay, to
            lay down. But I can't see any obvious way this gives the name
            recorded.

            Any ideas?

            Tim O'Neill
            Tasmanian Devil
          • autoreport
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 22, 2012
              -mund in ga-mund is equivalent to English "mind" (in OE gemynd), Latin mens, ment-. The mund in Germanic names however is cognate with Latin manus, hand, with a sense of "protection/protector", an figuratve use of the primary sense "hand" derived from idioms such as "place in your hands" "take in hand".