[gothic-l] Re: Eruli

  • Keth
    Message 1 of 117 , Mar 4, 2000
      Hails! Matthew and Bertil,

      >Keth,
      >
      >As I pointed out, it was only to inform
      >the listmembers of the latest in research
      >and publicity on the Eruli. As the Eruli
      >were close allies of the Goths at the
      >Black Sea, I cannot see why such
      >information would not be relevant to the
      >list.

      I agree. At least part of the time they were associates.
      By the same token the Langobards, who were the ones who
      took over the rule in Italy after the Goths, may be said
      to be closely associated with the history of the Goths.
      That is why I was so surprised that you appealed to
      offtopicness concerning the Langobards.

      But now that we have permission to discuss the topic,
      I will ask you once again what the etymology of Erul
      is, since such knowledge appears to be a necessary
      prerequisite to determine the etymologicality
      of the various forms the name received during its
      history.

      If the Germanic form of the name was without H, which is
      not a new result (since this is what most reference works
      have been saying for a long time), it would support the
      notion that the irilar/erilar inscriptions are indeed
      related to the Eruls. But the question then also arises
      as to why Prokop added an H. And then the 'Hariwulf'
      reference is definitly sent cycling.

      Gothologically ;)
      Keth

      Þær Hroðgar sæt ... mid his eorla zedriht.

      B E O W U L F 357
    • Einar Gunnar Birgisson <einarbirg@yahoo.
      Message 117 of 117 , Dec 28, 2002
        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "lindarichters
        <lindarichters@y...>" <lindarichters@y...> wrote:

        #### Hi Linda.
        The subject has been discussed a lot. I will answer you very briefly
        on Germanic-L, as I dont think the moderator there will object to
        that. As for your two questions then I was responding to remarks
        made by Dirk. Apart from that I want to say politely that I feel
        that it is not yours to decide what is discussed on Gothic-L.
        Best regards Einar #####

        > > Naturally there were no Heruli existing in the 9th and 10th
        > centuries when Iceland was settled so therefore there were no
        Heruli
        > among the settlers. But among the settlers there were powerful
        > aristocratic families presumably of Swedish descent that could
        have
        > been the descendants of aristocratic Heruli families.
        >
        > As this position is entirely unfounded, the use of words and
        phrases
        > like "presumably" and "could have been" is in order. The consensus
        of
        > both ancient writers and modern scholarly opinion have established
        > Norway as the overwhelming place of origin for both Icelanders and
        > Faroe Islanders (see Book of Settlements and related scholarship).
        > more relevant question for a Gothic list might be: where did the
        > Goths originate?
        >
        > > There can be put forward rather extensive argumentation for this
        > hypothesis and these arguments are presented in the book "The
        Origin