[gothic-l] Re: Eruli

  • got@yesbox.net
    Message 1 of 117 , Mar 4, 2000
      ket-@... (keth) wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=1934

      Bertil, Keth and others,

      I have to tell you that I saw something interesting on the library two
      weeks ago. I also have reserve the possibility that Bertil already
      mentioned this book.I have been waiting for a opportunity to tell you
      about it. On the department for ancient norse/nordic mythology and
      saga, Hcedca, I saw a book called:"Götrik och Rolfs saga" by Gunnel and
      Göran Liljenroth. On the page;127, you can see a old photostatpicture
      of some wooden clubs, under the picture it says that they have been in
      use many years ago. These clubs had been in use a long time ago and
      after this been preserved in Skatelöv church, and other parishes
      churches in Värend. These had been used ackording to the legend, to put
      elderly to eternal sleep, who choosed voluntarily to do so. I suppose
      that this is not a 19th c adjustment to the herulic legend?

      I just happened to remember what Bertil told about the heruls ackording
      to antique writers. So Bertil and Keth, I would be happy if you could
      tell me if there is anybody else but Procopius, that mentions them.

      Hälsningar från

      Gutwulfs
      Håkan Liljeberg

    • Einar Gunnar Birgisson <einarbirg@yahoo.
      Message 117 of 117 , Dec 28, 2002
        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "lindarichters
        <lindarichters@y...>" <lindarichters@y...> wrote:

        #### Hi Linda.
        The subject has been discussed a lot. I will answer you very briefly
        on Germanic-L, as I dont think the moderator there will object to
        that. As for your two questions then I was responding to remarks
        made by Dirk. Apart from that I want to say politely that I feel
        that it is not yours to decide what is discussed on Gothic-L.
        Best regards Einar #####

        > > Naturally there were no Heruli existing in the 9th and 10th
        > centuries when Iceland was settled so therefore there were no
        Heruli
        > among the settlers. But among the settlers there were powerful
        > aristocratic families presumably of Swedish descent that could
        have
        > been the descendants of aristocratic Heruli families.
        >
        > As this position is entirely unfounded, the use of words and
        phrases
        > like "presumably" and "could have been" is in order. The consensus
        of
        > both ancient writers and modern scholarly opinion have established
        > Norway as the overwhelming place of origin for both Icelanders and
        > Faroe Islanders (see Book of Settlements and related scholarship).
        > more relevant question for a Gothic list might be: where did the
        > Goths originate?
        >
        > > There can be put forward rather extensive argumentation for this
        > hypothesis and these arguments are presented in the book "The
        Origin