[gothic-l] Another Grmnc language in the East

  • Ryszard Derdzinski
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2000
      Heils! Reikahardus here again. Thank you to you all for help with the <q>
      question. It would be wanderful to pronounce Gothic like it was in the
      ancient times.

      Today I want to relate a very interesting problem of the Germanic people in
      the East.

      Have you ever heard of another Germanic language called - 'Wymysöjeris' (or
      spelled sometimes Vimisierish)? It is a native language of the people from
      one of the villages in southern
      Poland - from Wilamowice and Stara Wies [pron. 'veelumoveetseh' and 'starah
      vyesh'] or in Wimisierish language Vimisau and Vimisdyrf.

      In the 19th century the language spoken then by about 1300 people, was
      considered as a relic of an Eastern Germanic language of the Vandals -
      supposed to live in this area in the Roman times. One of the writers
      interested in Wilamowice's history wrote that this language contains many
      Gothic-related words.

      Of course it is not an ancient relic- it is a dialect of Middle High German
      with many Slavic influences. Interesting is that now the Vimisau's
      (Wilamowice Village's) people claim they came to Poland in the 13th c. from
      Nederlands or Frisia - not from Germany. The origin of this identification
      is the attitude of the Polish neighbours to the Vimisau's people after the
      2nd World War. The Nazis treated the Vimisierish as the Old Germanic
      colonists - they had some privilages then. After the last war the Polish
      goverment and the Polish neighbours wanted the Vimisierish people to
      emigrate to Germany or to forget their language and traditions.

      Today Vimisierish dies - young people don't want to cultivate the old
      language and their traditions. Wilamowice lays now in Cracow district
      (Województwo Malopolskie) not in Silesia, where the German minority feels
      stronger and better.

      Yours

      Reikahardus
      Richard Derdzinski

      P.S. See my Tolkienian webpages: www.kki.net.pl/~parmadil and
      www.kki.net.pl/~galadorn .
      My great interest is if the Polish are only the Slavs offspring or they can
      feel the grandchildren of the Vandals, Goths, too. I try to search the
      Germanic traces in our Polish language, place-names, traditions...