[gothic-l] Re: R: Gothic and Italian II & Gothic pronounciation

  • David Salo
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 12, 2000
      >BTW: could anyone tell me of some Germanic cognate of a Go *þriskan? It
      >should mean 'to stomp'.

      This is English "thresh", which means "to strike a (grain) plant to
      separate the seed from it". German dreschen has the same meaning. English
      "thrash" (meaning "beat, flog") is an alteration of "thresh".

      /\ WISTR LAG WIGS RAIHTS
      \/ WRAIQS NU IST <> David Salo
      <dsalo@...> <>
    • got@yesbox.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 13, 2000
        go-@... wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=1810

        Godana dag, Iosefa jah allaim!

        In Sw. the phrase for separating the grain-corn from the stalks is
        "tröska". This was done in older times by beating with short wooden
        decorated sabres. This was often done in rhythm with many together.
        Later maybe it became a word to mark the rhythm. In gothic it also
        meant to stomp the feat in rhythm? I bet the gothic phrase for stomping
        the wine was *thriskan(separate the wine from the grapes).

        > >I think this a initiative to support. It´s better to try, than
        actually
        > >not doing it. I appreciate this and I agree on most of this, but I
        > >have a question about "thi:na". Since it is dein and deine(pl.)in
        > >Gotlandic(gutniske). Could it be possible that gothic had a diftongue
        > >there too?
        > This is unlikely. The Gothic <ei> graph is found corresponding to
        PGmc long
        > i, and there's no reason why this should have changed in Gothic.
        Gotlandic
        > seems here to show a phenomenon already observed in English and
        German, i.e.
        > diphthongization of long vowels.

        Yes, Iosefs you are right about this. I remember now that it was said
        that especially in Gotlandic they had diphthongization of long vowels
        in the late viking age and the medieval ages. In fact many vowels had
        this phenomena happening to them eccept short vowels. One exemple is
        "fyl" foal (horse-kid) and "hul" hole. I had a hope that gotl. "dein"
        would be an original vowel, but probably not.

        Gutwulfs
      • John Otis
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 13, 2000
          The verb Þreskja in Icelandic means to thresh, in English. Hope that this
          helps.
          John.

          >BTW: could anyone tell me of some Germanic cognate of a Go *þriskan? It
          >should mean 'to stomp'.

          This is English "thresh", which means "to strike a (grain) plant to
          separate the seed from it". German dreschen has the same meaning. English
          "thrash" (meaning "beat, flog") is an alteration of "thresh".

          /\ WISTR LAG WIGS RAIHTS
          \/ WRAIQS NU IST <> David Salo
          <dsalo@...> <>

          Save cash today!
          http://click.egroups.com/1/1414/3/_/3398/_/950415463/

          -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=gothic-l&m=1
        • got@yesbox.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 14, 2000
            david salo <dsal-@...> wrote:
            original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=1811
            > >BTW: could anyone tell me of some Germanic cognate of a Go *þriskan?
            It
            > >should mean 'to stomp'.
            >
            > This is English "thresh", which means "to strike a (grain) plant to
            > separate the seed from it". German dreschen has the same meaning.
            English
            > "thrash" (meaning "beat, flog") is an alteration of "thresh".

            Hails, David!
            I also thought about MnE threshold and Sw. tröskel. They probably mean
            "treedivider"(at the door). So since this "thresh" usually was done
            with a wooden pole in older times, the word could mean "to beat with
            something wooden"(triws). Just a thought!

            Gutwulfs

            > /\ WISTR LAG WIGS RAIHTS
            > \/ WRAIQS NU IST <> David
            Salo
            > <dsalo@...> <>

          • Giuseppe Pagliarulo
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 14, 2000
              Hails!
              go-@... wrote:
              original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=1810

              >Godana dag, Iosefa jah allaim!
              >
              >In Sw. the phrase for separating the grain-corn from the stalks is
              >"tröska". This was done in older times by beating with short wooden
              >decorated sabres. This was often done in rhythm with many together.
              >Later maybe it became a word to mark the rhythm. In gothic it also
              >meant to stomp the feat in rhythm? I bet the gothic phrase for stomping
              >the wine was *thriskan(separate the wine from the grapes).

              I think you are quite close to the mark here. Rhythm seems to play some role
              in this term's connotation. *Thriskan was deduced from the Italian verb
              trescare , which nowadays means "to elope", but meant "to dance" once.
              Apparently related is the term tresca, today "unofficial sexual relation",
              but some time ago an unelegant peasant's dance with regular rapid movements
              of hands and legs.

              Her ainshun nist dwals
              (::(
              Iosef
            • got@yesbox.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 19, 2000
                "giuseppe pagliarulo" <g.pagliarul-@...> wrote:
                original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=1820
                > go-@... wrote:
                > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=1810

                Godana dag, Iosefa jah allaim!

                I also thought about MnE threshold and Sw. tröskel. I also have a
                slight memory that AS "treskel" means the same thing. They probably mean
                "treedivider"(at the door). Also Sw. "vägskäl" roadconversion. They
                seem to follow the AS and Go. spelling of wood with treu? and triws. So