[gothic-l] Gothic pronounciation

  • got@yesbox.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 11 9:37 AM
      "john otis" <viking97-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=1796

      Godana dag John!
      I think this a initiative to support. It´s better to try, than actually
      not doing it. I appreciate this and I agree on most of this, but I
      have a question about "thi:na". Since it is dein and deine(pl.)in
      Gotlandic(gutniske). Could it be possible that gothic had a diftongue
      there too?
      (For)ever and ever "e ok e" in 13th c gotlandic "gutasagu", seems to
      support the pronounciation of "aiwins" as e:wins!
      Auk is also spelt and pronounced ' auk ' in ON, but of course it could
      have been o:k in gothic. Do you or anybody else has an opinion?
      This was very interesting thanks again.

      Gutwulfs

      > Check this out- this is a translation of The Our Father in Gothic.
      The
      > translation is by Lowlands-L Administrator mailto:sassisch@...
      > attar unsar thu in himinam
      > 'atar 'unsar Tu in 'himinam
      > weihnai namo thein
      > 'wi:Cne: 'namo Ti:n
      > quimai thiundinassus theins
      > 'kwime: 'Tjundinasus Ti:ns
      > wairthai wilja theins
      > 'we:rTe: 'wilja Ti:ns
      > swe in himina jah ana airthai
      > swe in 'himina jax 'ana 'e:rTe:
      > hlaif unsarana thana sinteinan gif uns himma daga
      > xle:f'unsarana 'Tana 'sinti:nan gif uns 'himma 'daGa
      > jah aflet uns thatai skulans sijaima
      > jax 'aflet uns 'Tate: 'skulans 'sije:ma
      > swaswe jah weis afletam thaim skulan unsaraim
      > 'swaswe jax wi:s 'afletam Te:m 'skulan 'unsare:m
      > jah ni briggais uns in fraistubnjai
      > jax ni 'briNe:s uns in 'fre:stubnje:
      > auk lausai uns of thamma ubilin
      > o:k 'lo:se: uns of 'Tamma 'uBilin
      > unte thina ist thiudangardi jah mahts jah wulthus in aiwins amen
      > 'unte 'Tina ist 'TjudaN,garDi jax maxts jax 'wulTus in e:wins 'amen

    • John Otis
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 13 7:24 PM
        Hi,
        I don't have information about the grammar of the Gothic language. I am a
        student of the Icelandic language. I subscribed to this newsletter to help
        me out with my Icelandic studies.
        I hope it helped you some.
        John.

        I think this a initiative to support. It´s better to try, than actually
        not doing it. I appreciate this and I agree on most of this, but I
        have a question about "thi:na". Since it is dein and deine(pl.)in
        Gotlandic(gutniske). Could it be possible that gothic had a diftongue
        there too?
        (For)ever and ever "e ok e" in 13th c gotlandic "gutasagu", seems to
        support the pronounciation of "aiwins" as e:wins!
        Auk is also spelt and pronounced ' auk ' in ON, but of course it could
        have been o:k in gothic. Do you or anybody else has an opinion?
        This was very interesting thanks again.

        Gutwulfs

        > Check this out- this is a translation of The Our Father in Gothic.
        The
        > translation is by Lowlands-L Administrator mailto:sassisch@...
        > attar unsar thu in himinam
        > 'atar 'unsar Tu in 'himinam
        > weihnai namo thein
        > 'wi:Cne: 'namo Ti:n
        > quimai thiundinassus theins
        > 'kwime: 'Tjundinasus Ti:ns
        > wairthai wilja theins
        > 'we:rTe: 'wilja Ti:ns
        > swe in himina jah ana airthai
        > swe in 'himina jax 'ana 'e:rTe:
        > hlaif unsarana thana sinteinan gif uns himma daga
        > xle:f'unsarana 'Tana 'sinti:nan gif uns 'himma 'daGa
        > jah aflet uns thatai skulans sijaima
        > jax 'aflet uns 'Tate: 'skulans 'sije:ma
        > swaswe jah weis afletam thaim skulan unsaraim
        > 'swaswe jax wi:s 'afletam Te:m 'skulan 'unsare:m
        > jah ni briggais uns in fraistubnjai
        > jax ni 'briNe:s uns in 'fre:stubnje:
        > auk lausai uns of thamma ubilin
        > o:k 'lo:se: uns of 'Tamma 'uBilin
        > unte thina ist thiudangardi jah mahts jah wulthus in aiwins amen
        > 'unte 'Tina ist 'TjudaN,garDi jax maxts jax 'wulTus in e:wins 'amen

        Valentine's Day Shopping Made Simple. Click Here!
        http://click.egroups.com/1/1155/3/_/3398/_/950290653/

        -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/gothic-l/?m=1
      • Ben van Poppel
        Message 3 of 9 , May 29, 2001
          Hi Andre.

          I'm not too bad thanks, just thankful that things will be more or less
          done soon. The semester as a whole has been a bit of a downer for some
          reason (0 motivation and too many other things on the side, most of
          which are more tempting than Uni work as research is relatively
          painless). Oh well, I've heard it said second year is the toughest
          year, so I'm sure I'll manage to stick it out! :)

          There was a Hörverständnis test on in German today, which Tina says we
          can do next week sometime. Thursday would probably be the best day for
          me; maybe we can knock them both over on the same day. I've postponed
          German lit and Syntax until the next exam period. If Thursday doesn't
          work, Friday will probably be fine as well. all depends on when my
          folks are coming up to help me cart my stuff home, but I imagine that
          wouldn't be until the afternoon at the earliest.

          Your right - there is no Accents exam. Must have got my wires
          crossed. :) Mark's agreed to me emailing him the completed
          assignments.

          I'm sure I'll catch up with you before the end of the week. If not,
          have a good weekend.

          Cheers,
          Ben
        • czobor@cantacuzino.ro
          Message 4 of 9 , May 30, 2001
            What has this to do with the Gothic-L ???

            Francisc

            --- In gothic-l@y..., Ben van Poppel <benny@N...> wrote:
            > Hi Andre.
            >
            > I'm not too bad thanks, just thankful that things will be more or
            less
            > done soon. The semester as a whole has been a bit of a downer for
            some
            > reason (0 motivation and too many other things on the side, most of
            > which are more tempting than Uni work as research is relatively
            > painless). Oh well, I've heard it said second year is the toughest
            > year, so I'm sure I'll manage to stick it out! :)
            >
            > There was a Hörverständnis test on in German today, which Tina says
            we
            > can do next week sometime. Thursday would probably be the best day
            for
            > me; maybe we can knock them both over on the same day. I've
            postponed
            > German lit and Syntax until the next exam period. If Thursday
            doesn't
            > work, Friday will probably be fine as well. all depends on when my
            > folks are coming up to help me cart my stuff home, but I imagine
            that
            > wouldn't be until the afternoon at the earliest.
            >
            > Your right - there is no Accents exam. Must have got my wires
            > crossed. :) Mark's agreed to me emailing him the completed
            > assignments.
            >
            > I'm sure I'll catch up with you before the end of the week. If not,
            > have a good weekend.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Ben
          • M. Carver
            Message 5 of 9 , May 30, 2001
              on 5/30/01 1:44 AM, czobor@... at czobor@... wrote:

              > What has this to do with the Gothic-L ???
              >
              > Francisc

              Hails!

              Looks like a stray mis-post to me. I'm trying to ignore it. If it happens
              again I'll look into it.

              Cheers,
              Matþaius