[gothic-l] Re: Gothic and Italian II

  • got@yesbox.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11, 2000
      > > Bramare "to desire intensely", bramire "(of animals) to scream" < Go
      > > *bramon.

      Hails, Iosef jah allaim!
      Probably this hasn´t been a positive word. For the modest and
      conservative goths a uncontroled behaviour wasn´t their ideal. I think
      that it was first the verb for animals sound and then in italian to
      want without control.
      This also reminded me that in Sw. the verb for the bears sound is
      "brumma"roar.
      This can also applied on people who sound harsh or threatening. Could
      it be soundimitating?(onomatepoetic? Sorry, I am not sure of the
      phrase). If it was *bramon, could that explain why the form is "brumma"
      and not "bramma"? Ex:
      *bramon-*bromon-*bromma-brumma. Just a thought!

      It has been silent lately

      Gutulf