[gothic-l] Re: Questions.

  • M. Carver
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2000
      Hails Maks!

      > MASSIMILIANO DISTASO wrote:
      >
      > godana dag allaim
      >
      > I'm Max, a new member of the list. I would like to know:
      >
      > 1) if there is anybody here on the list who can write or speak gothic.
      > It would be very important to make an active use of the language in
      > order to revive it;

      There are some of us who have been able to (with some difficulty in some
      cases) compose messages in gothic, translate gothic, etc. I know that
      some have also made little conversations and such. A while ago when
      Eric and I first began this list on the gmx site, we tried to start a
      chat room (gothic-l) on undernet but apparently it was not "active"
      enough to be considered for domain. From early on, of course, we have
      encouraged those who wish to attempt posts in gothic (including
      translations for everyone).

      > 2) if there are people meeting in order to discuss some topics using
      > the gothic language. For example, there are many clubs in the world
      > trying to revive the latin language, that gather in order to speak it.

      I personally don't know of any such groups, official groups or not.
      I've never heard of any. It might be interesting to look into something
      like that, a gothic language club in your neighbourhood. But i'm sure
      you would run into problems of attendance and misunderstanding (gothic-l
      tends to be misunderstood as dealing with the subculture movement
      centered around death and darkness)

      > 3) if there exists some modern literature written in the gothic
      > language, and where I can find it.
      >
      > Good bye.
      >
      > Max.

      We have written some things in Gothic. There are journal entries,
      riddles, songs, poems, idioms, expressions, and translations of
      classical works. The opus is still small, but I think we could assemble
      something online if anyone is up to the task of extracting the
      contributions made to the list compiling them. I will be losing my
      csulb account in the spring, so I couldn't promise to use my space.

      Maþþaius