[gothic-l] Questions.

  • MASSIMILIANO DISTASO
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6 2:27 PM

      godana dag allaim

      I'm Max, a new member of the list. I would like to know:

      1) if there is anybody here on the list who can write or speak gothic. It would be very important to make an active use of the language in order to revive it;
      2) if there are people meeting in order to discuss some topics using the gothic language. For example, there are many clubs in the world trying to revive the latin language, that gather in order to speak it.
      3) if there exists some modern literature written in the gothic language, and where I can find it.

      Good bye.

      Max.

    • M. Carver
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6 4:33 PM
        Hails Maks!

        > MASSIMILIANO DISTASO wrote:
        >
        > godana dag allaim
        >
        > I'm Max, a new member of the list. I would like to know:
        >
        > 1) if there is anybody here on the list who can write or speak gothic.
        > It would be very important to make an active use of the language in
        > order to revive it;

        There are some of us who have been able to (with some difficulty in some
        cases) compose messages in gothic, translate gothic, etc. I know that
        some have also made little conversations and such. A while ago when
        Eric and I first began this list on the gmx site, we tried to start a
        chat room (gothic-l) on undernet but apparently it was not "active"
        enough to be considered for domain. From early on, of course, we have
        encouraged those who wish to attempt posts in gothic (including
        translations for everyone).

        > 2) if there are people meeting in order to discuss some topics using
        > the gothic language. For example, there are many clubs in the world
        > trying to revive the latin language, that gather in order to speak it.

        I personally don't know of any such groups, official groups or not.
        I've never heard of any. It might be interesting to look into something
        like that, a gothic language club in your neighbourhood. But i'm sure
        you would run into problems of attendance and misunderstanding (gothic-l
        tends to be misunderstood as dealing with the subculture movement
        centered around death and darkness)

        > 3) if there exists some modern literature written in the gothic
        > language, and where I can find it.
        >
        > Good bye.
        >
        > Max.

        We have written some things in Gothic. There are journal entries,
        riddles, songs, poems, idioms, expressions, and translations of
        classical works. The opus is still small, but I think we could assemble
        something online if anyone is up to the task of extracting the
        contributions made to the list compiling them. I will be losing my
        csulb account in the spring, so I couldn't promise to use my space.

        Maþþaius