[gothic-l] Cherusci vs Cherusti

  • Oleg S.
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2000
      Dear all,

      I don't know whether this fact is at all important. Most likely it is just a
      coincidence.
      But, approximately 30-40 km to the South East from Moscow there is a tiny
      town or maybe just a big village (and a railway station at the very
      beginning of the world longest Trans-Siberian Railway that is more than 9000
      km long and runs to the East until across a narrow harbor there is Japan) -
      called Cherusti (Ch should be read as in English or in Spanish).

      The toponym does not have any Russian origin or translation. Most likely it
      is a relict from a vanished people of Finno-Ugric origin that lived in this
      area before XV-XVI centuries, though I did not read any comment on that name
      printed anywhere. This area is famous for excellent pine woods and bogs,
      blackberry and cranberry, numerous elks, wild boars and tiny lakes full of
      fish... This place is especially exciting during golden autumn - fresh wet
      wind, lots of mushrooms, fallen leaves on the ancient pathways through the
      quagmires... Wild eternal forest around, absolutely strange to meet that
      close to a megapolis inhabited by more than 11 million of humans. Empty
      dirty packs of cheap cigarettes, broken vodka bottles, rusted cans near
      abandoned camp fires... (Please, don't accuse me for my ignorance - I am
      sure that Cherusci neither smoked "Belomor" ("radioactive" Russian
      cigarettes with air filter, very cheap) nor drank "Privet" (a very cheap but
      not too bad vodka of a Moscow plant) - I added here it to complete the
      impression)

      Hardly there is a connection, of course... But prehistoric migrations is a
      bit mysterious topic and nothing definite can be said. So, just imagine that
      a number of Cherusci settled in this area, and later mixed with the
      Finno-Ugric people, to be absorbed into Moscovites half a millennium later
      (this small town and railway station are on the territory of Moscow oblast
      (province) of Russia). Is it possible? Why not...

      And their name is often heard from the loudspeakers at the Kazan terminal
      station in Moscow, every time when another suburban train departs from it -
      dozens times a day.

      Sorry, that was just a lyrics - nothing serious or scientific.
      Oleg