[gothic-l] Gothic Language Revival

  • Ulf Wiman
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 1998
      Neo-Gothic in order to have any function would have to resort to neologisms, i.e., to expand its lexical range. Here, I am not in a position to pontificate which manner is better or worse. I suppose we can be as puristic as the Icelanders and coin lexica employing internal sources and on occasion use loan translations. Or perhaps like the Dutch or Danish and accept any international coinage. I guess here, since I am Swedish, that the Swedish language as far neologisms are concerned stand between the two above mentioned examples. I realize I could be off mark, I know that I am more often than not.

      But, I think we need to consider the fact that Gothic, as represented by the Silver Bible, had already incorporated at least in its ecclesiastical cloak many Greek words and loan translations.

      Question: How much does Gutnish (Gotl�ndska) have that could be Gothic? The same for the Swedish spoken on Run� until WWII.

      Just musings and I love the dialogue we are starting!

      Ulfie

      -----