[gothic-l] _The Goths_ by Felix Dahn

  • Bertil Haggman
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 1998
      Although Herwig Wolfram of course is
      the leading modern expert in the West on
      the Goths it might be of interest
      to read the famous _Die Goten - Ost-
      germanen - Die Voelker der gotischen
      Gruppe_ by Felix Dahn, a German
      Professor who toward the end of the
      19th century published extensively
      on the Goths. His four volume
      work of 1899 has now been published
      in a comprehensive one volume work
      in Germany (Emil Vollmer Verlag,
      ISBN 3-88851-180-1).

      Underneath a short list of contents
      translated from German to English:

      I The Germanics
      II Cultural Level in Asia
      III The Migration of the Germanics to Europe
      IV The Europe before the Germanics
      V The Sagas of the Germanics
      VI The Names "Germani" and "German"
      VII The Distribution of the Germanic Peoples
      VIII The Land of the Germanics
      IX. The People
      X. Settlement and Division of Land
      XI. Legal Views and Constitutions on the Trek
      XII. Culture: Language, Literature, the Runes,
      Music, Science
      XIII. Gods and Mythology

      PART 1

      The East Germanics - The Peoples of the Gothic Group

      Book I The Vandals
      Appendix: The Alans

      Book II: The Ostrogoths

      Four chapters

      Book III: The Visigoths

      Five Chapters
      Appendix: The Suebic Peple

      Bokk IV The Smaller Gothic Peoples

      Appendix: Nine different lists of kings and rulers

      544 pages.

      Gothically

      Bertil Haggman

    • Christian Petersen
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 1998
        Dear Bertil, dear members,
        Felix Ludwig Sophus DAHN has produced a vast amount of literature - not
        everything of equal value.
        However, I was not lucky in finding any work of 1899. Is what you refer
        to identical with what his offspring Friedel has published later on in
        the name of Felix?
        Gawairthi; Chris
      • Bertil Haggman
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 7, 1998
          Christian Petersen wrote:

          > Dear Bertil, dear members,
          > Felix Ludwig Sophus DAHN has produced a vast amount of literature - not
          > everything of equal value.
          > However, I was not lucky in finding any work of 1899. Is what you refer
          > to identical with what his offspring Friedel has published later on in
          > the name of Felix?

          Chris,

          All I can say is that the publishing company
          provided the following information:

          "Bearbeitete, ungekuertzte Neuausgabe mit
          saemtlichen Abbildungen und Karten der im
          Verlag Baumgaertel Berlin 1899 erschienenen
          4 Baende umfassenden Urgeschichte der
          germanischen und romanischen Voelker. Heraus-
          gegeben von Alexander Heine. Der vorliegende
          Band entspricht von der Aufteilung der Erst.
          ausgabe Band I ungekuertzt".

          In view of this my previous info might have
          been somewhat misleading. The new edition
          is Volume I of the four volume work on the
          Germanich and Romanic peoples by Dahn.

          Best wishes

          Bertil Haggman