[gothic-l] Marcomani, Harii, Burgundians

  • Bertil Häggman
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2000
      Tim,

      Missed your other people names, but the Marcomani are
      definitely Germanic, literally, the 'march-men', that is
      inhabitants of a border region. Compare Middle High
      German 'marcman'.

      On the Harii it might be something like 'warriors' (compare
      Gothic harjis=army). In Tacitus there is mention of 'ghostly
      army' and the special battle tactics of the Harii. Maybe
      there is a connection. There might even be a connection to
      the old myth of the Wild Hunt, the ghostly warriors who rode in the
      sky in the Yuletide twelwe nights. But it could also just
      be guerrilla like attacks, stealth attacks. We know this tactics
      of the Germanic peoples from some of the terrible defeats
      suffered by Roman legions venturing too far into the
      interior of Germania. See Varus and the destruction of
      his three legions in Teutoburg Forest 9 AD.

      Borgund maybe "the mountain over the thin stretch of sand",
      later Burgundarholm, the island of Bornholm in the Baltic
      Sea. The Burgundians are not mentioned, if I remember
      correctly, by Tacitus.

      Gothically

      Bertil