[gothic-l] AncientSites: Sounds cool, but...

  • Ingeborg S. Nordén
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2000
      > Hails.
      >
      > The 'Germania' group on Ancient Sites is discussing setting up a
      > Germanic 'tribe' there. For those who aren't familiar with it, Ancient
      > Sites is a themed online community for people interested in ancient
      > history. Members can choose which 'city' they want to 'live' in -
      > Rome, Athens, Egypt, Tara - and then choose a 'family' or 'tribe'
      > before setting up a 'house' for themselves. It's quite a nice idea,
      > though the enthusiasm of the people there far outweighs their knowledge
      > of history, so it tends to be big on friendliness and outward show
      > rather than substance. I'm there mainly because of the 20 MB of free
      > web server space you get with membership.
      >
      > Anyway, the 'Germania' discussion group there is part of the city of
      > 'Tara' which is mainly devoted to ancient Celtic culture....

      "Germanic" and "Celtic" are not the same thing, as anyone who's been in my
      online rune classes has heard once too often. I know the hosts are less
      concerned with historical accuracy than with providing a *place* for history
      buffs to meet. Still, the fact that Germanic and Celtic cultures have a
      common ancestry (and have influenced each other) is no excuse to imply that
      they are interchangeable. "Tara" indeed!

      Be that as it may...has anyone in the Germania section added the Svear as a
      "tribe" yet? If they have, count me in--a Germanic reference in my URL
      would sure *look* better for the runic teaching site I currently have on
      Geocities.

      ----
      Ingeborg S. Nord�n
      (runelady@...)

      Ek Ingwibergo stabaz fahi�o
    • Tim O'Neill
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2000
        "ingeborg s. nordén" <runelad-@...> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=1787

        > > The 'Germania' group on Ancient Sites is discussing setting up a
        > > Germanic 'tribe' there. For those who aren't familiar with it,
        Ancient
        > > Sites is a themed online community for people interested in ancient
        > > history. Members can choose which 'city' they want to 'live' in -
        > > Rome, Athens, Egypt, Tara - and then choose a 'family' or 'tribe'
        > > before setting up a 'house' for themselves. It's quite a nice idea,
        > > though the enthusiasm of the people there far outweighs their
        knowledge
        > > of history, so it tends to be big on friendliness and outward show
        > > rather than substance. I'm there mainly because of the 20 MB of
        free
        > > web server space you get with membership.

        > "Germanic" and "Celtic" are not the same thing, as anyone who's been
        in my
        > online rune classes has heard once too often. I know the hosts are
        less
        > concerned with historical accuracy than with providing a *place* for
        history
        > buffs to meet. Still, the fact that Germanic and Celtic cultures
        have a
        > common ancestry (and have influenced each other) is no excuse to
        imply that
        > they are interchangeable. "Tara" indeed!

        I don't think anyone there has claimed that 'Celtic' and 'Germanic' are
        the same thing. 'Tara' was formed because of a very large number of
        people who are interested in the ancient Celts - both the real ones, the
        new age version of them and popular conceptions of them from various
        'Arthurian' fantasy novels. When it emerged that there were also a
        (much smaller) number of people interested in the Germanics they set up
        a discussion board on 'Tara' because it seemed a more appropriate
        setting
        than 'Egypt' or 'Babylon'.

        The discussion about setting up some Germanic tribes on 'Tara' began as
        a proposal about setting up a separate Germanic 'city' alongside 'Tara'
        for precisely the reason you mention - Celts aren't Germanics and
        vice versa. Unfortunately AS is already growing too fast and 'the Gods'
        have put a stop to any more additional cities until they can consolidate
        things a little. Trying to set up some Germanic tribes alongside the
        Celtic ones (just over the Rhine I suppose) is a compromise.

        > Be that as it may...has anyone in the Germania section added the
        Svear as a
        > "tribe" yet? If they have, count me in--a Germanic reference in my
        URL
        > would sure *look* better for the runic teaching site I currently have
        on
        > Geocities.

        I could suggest the Svear, though most of the people on Germania are
        interested in the west Germanic tribes - the Cherusci are a big
        favourite
        (something to do with the defeat of a certain Varus I gather). My
        suggestions about setting up Ostrogoths and Visigoths has recently got
        some support from a leading member, so that may happen after all.
        Cheers,

        Tim O'Neill
        Tasmanian Devil