[gothic-l] Research Ongoing in Italy and Spain

  • Bertil Häggman
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2000
      Gutwulfs,

      Am not quite sure what you mean by "another time"
      but modern DNS technique is offering quite new
      possibilities for doing this kind of research.

      It is interesting that you bring up other areas because
      for years now research has been going on in south-
      central Italy and on Visigotic gravefields in Spain.
      I am not prepared at thiss tage to report more in
      detail but as soon as firm research reports are
      available, both concerning Cimbri, Ostrogothi and
      Visigothi I will report it to the list.

      In my opinion Gotland should figure prominently in
      the future work in this new, challenging field.

      Gothically

      Bertil
      >I thought that these kind of investigations belonged to another time.
      >But it would be also interesting with research about possible links
      >between Gotland and goths. If they don´t get acceptable matches in
      >Italy, maybe they could try with Gotland because I regard the island as
      >a "missing link" between the continent and Scandinavia. And while they
      >are at it, i think that they could test people in northern Spain with
      >Castilia, Navarra, Asturia etc. I am sure they will turn up with some
      >interesting results.
      >

      >Gutwulfs
      >
      >> The debate on the possibility to genetically
      >> decide relationship between Germanic immigrants
      >> to southern Europe and their Scandinavian
      >> ancestors will probably be renewed. Danish
      >> daily newspapers have today reported that the
      >> Clinical Genetical Department at Aarhus University
      >> will analyse genetical data of 50 men from Himmerland
      >> Province, Central Jutland.
      >>
      >> The Vesthimmerland's Museum in Aars will be responsible for
      >> the selection of 50 men from Himmerland. The purpose
      >> of the study is to show relationship between the Cimbri
      >> in Italy and the Cimbri, who migrated from
      >> Himmerland around 120 BC. After having been defeated
      >> by Marius' legionaries the survivors settled in Northern
      >> Italy, where a number of towns and villages claim
      >> northern ancestry.
      >>
      >> Are the Goths next, but this time comparison of skeletal
      >> remains of Gothic graves in Italy and grave remains in
      >> southern Scandinavia?
      >>
      >> Bertil Haggman

      >Finding a sweetheart is hard work. Shopping for one shouldn't be.
      >Click here for Valentine Surprises!

      >-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=gothic-l&m=1

    • Keth
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2000
        Gutwulfs wrote:

        >>I thought that these kind of investigations belonged to another time.
        I agree, it gives me a chill too.
        But from what I see on the net, many people from Italy and Spain
        are quite enamoured of the idea that their ancestors came from
        Scandinavia (Lombards, Visigoths).
        You get the same idea from the USA too, where it now appears that
        half the population are "vikings".

        In NW Spain the "Schwaben" settled. But before that it was the Kelts.
        I also noted the book a couple of years ago, that came out at Princeton,
        "Mapping the human genome" by two professors there. They use advanced
        mathematics to statistically analyze genes from all over the globe.
        But I haven't had a chance to look at it.

        There are also some fancy theories out on the market, e.g. Spanuth's
        theory that the people from Atlantis settled in Schleswig-Holstein
        and from thence derives the "Nordic race". More recently there has
        been Dr. Dieter Braasch, professor of medicine from Marburg an der
        Lahn, who has proposed that even the pyramids were built by blue-eyed
        and blond people whose "original home" was in Schleswig Holstein.
        And although I believe he has some good points (e.g. rachitis
        hypothesis), it all seems rather too fantastic to me.

        In fact, it seems to me that such investigations will merely reveal
        what we already know, that there are no sharp divisions of human "types"
        within Europe, although statistical coefficients may certainly be
        measured and mapped. After the Neanderthal's demise, it was all "homo
        sapiens".

        Sapientically,

        Keth