[gothic-l] Germanic Names for Germanic Tribes

  • Tim O'Neill
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2000
      Hails.

      The 'Germania' group on Ancient Sites is discussing setting up a
      Germanic 'tribe' there. For those who aren't familiar with it, Ancient
      Sites is a themed online community for people interested in ancient
      history. Members can choose which 'city' they want to 'live' in -
      Rome, Athens, Egypt, Tara - and then choose a 'family' or 'tribe'
      before setting up a 'house' for themselves. It's quite a nice idea,
      though the enthusiasm of the people there far outweighs their knowledge
      of history, so it tends to be big on friendliness and outward show
      rather than substance. I'm there mainly because of the 20 MB of free
      web server space you get with membership.

      Anyway, the 'Germania' discussion group there is part of the city of
      'Tara' which is mainly devoted to ancient Celtic culture. 'Germania'
      is the lone outpost of Germanic enthusiasts on AS, and it's small by
      comparison with some other AS communities - about 100 members so far.
      Most members of Germania belong to Celtic tribes or Roman families, so
      some are looking to set up a Germanic tribe. I'm pushing to get them
      to call it by a Germanic name - rather than 'Teutones' or 'Cimbri' or
      'Marcomanni' or some other Latinised form. I go by the name
      'Thiudareiks Flavius' there, so I've suggested establisting a
      'Gut-thiuda', but others are interested in the Cherusci, Suebi, Chatti
      etc.

      What Germanic forms can we reconstruct from these Romanised names?
      I've hypothesised that the Marcomanni *may* have called themselves
      something like the '*Markomannanaz' and that if the name of the 'Harii'
      is related to the Gothic 'harjis' then the West (?) Germanic form could
      have been '*Hari'. What about the Chatti, Cherusci and Cimbri? Is the
      name of the Teutones related to the Gothic 'thiud'? If so, could they
      have been the '*Thiudaz'?

      Any suggestions welcome.
      Cheers

      Tim O'Neill/Thiudareiks Flavius
      Tasmanian Devil
      PS The URL of Ancient Sites is www.ancientsites.com - you can find
      'Germania' by going to Tara and selecting 'Boards' to bring up a list
      of Tara's discussion boards. Thiudareiks Flavius' domus in Rome (he's
      a follower of Audawakrs/Odovacar) is at http://www.ancientsites.com/use
      rs/Flavius_Thiudareiks
    • got@yesbox.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2000
        "tim o'neill" <scath-@...> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=1784
        Hails Tim jah allai!

        I just remember a book of old germanic tribes. Chatti was supposed to
        be hessians(from Hessen). Maybe "hattaz" or "hattoz" then. Cherusci,
        the prefix could be "her" army. Usci could it mean thunder like ON
        ass-ekja, which means god-travel? Or could it be related to harness,
        Sw. harnesk, "the harnessed"?
        Have to look in a wordlist. Maybe Suebi is related to the ON name
        Svafar.
        I will check out what it means.

        Gutulf