[gothic-l] Goths Relations to southern Scandinavia Next?

  • Bertil Häggman
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2000
      Listmembers,

      The debate on the possibility to genetically
      decide relationship between Germanic immigrants
      to southern Europe and their Scandinavian
      ancestors will probably be renewed. Danish
      daily newspapers have today reported that the
      Clinical Genetical Department at Aarhus University
      will analyse genetical data of 50 men from Himmerland
      Province, Central Jutland.

      The Vesthimmerland's Museum in Aars will be responsible for
      the selection of 50 men from Himmerland. The purpose
      of the study is to show relationship between the Cimbri
      in Italy and the Cimbri, who migrated from
      Himmerland around 120 BC. After having been defeated
      by Marius' legionaries the survivors settled in Northern
      Italy, where a number of towns and villages claim
      northern ancestry.

      Are the Goths next, but this time comparison of skeletal
      remains of Gothic graves in Italy and grave remains in
      southern Scandinavia?

      Bertil Haggman
    • got@yesbox.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2000
        "=?iso-8859-1?q?bertil_h=e4ggman?=" <bertil.haggma-@...>
        wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=1783

        Godana dag Bertil jah allaim!
        I thought that these kind of investigations belonged to another time.
        But it would be also interesting with research about possible links
        between Gotland and goths. If they don´t get acceptable matches in
        Italy, maybe they could try with Gotland because I regard the island as
        a "missing link" between the continent and Scandinavia. And while they
        are at it, i think that they could test people in northern Spain with
        Castilia, Navarra, Asturia etc. I am sure they will turn up with some
        interesting results.

        Gutwulfs