[gothic-l] Did somebody here say "Swedish"?

  • Ingeborg S. Nordén
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2000
      (Shades of my old Gothic class at UW; if you want me to jump into a
      linguistic discussion, bring up a connection with Swedish! *LOL*)

      > "pagliarulo giuseppe" <g.pagliarul-@...> wrote:

      > > Having taken another look at my Italian etymological dictionary I've
      > come across some fresh borrowings from Gothic I'm listing here:
      > >
      > > Bando "announcement" < Go bandwa
      >
      > Sw."band" tape, stripe of fabric. If they are related maybe the
      > original meaning in Go. was maybe announcement, runic message on a
      > stripe, just a thought I got.

      Not likely: the "announce/speak" verb in ON was _banna_, which never had
      the D to begin with AFAIK. Its descendants in the modern Scandinavian
      languages always have a semantic connection with curses or disapproval.
      I'm not aware of any source linking it to "runes carved within a
      stripe/ribbon border" (even though that WAS an artistic convention, Norsemen
      didn't reserve it for curses). I'm tempted to say that the D in the Gothic
      word was inorganic; the sequence -nw- doesn't ordinarily appear in the same
      morpheme anyway.

      [Gothic/Italian examples without Swedish cognates snipped]

      > > Greppia "crib" < Go *kripja

      Swedish _krubba_ 'manger' (maybe...where did the umlaut go though?)

      > > Schietto "true, plain" < Go slai�s

      Swedish _sl�t_ 'smooth'; Danish and Norwegian also use a similar word
      figuratively, much as Italian does (Dan _slet ikke_ 'not at all'; Norw _rett
      og slett_ 'plain and simple').

      > > Spranga "bolt" < Go *sparra (crossed with OHG spanga)
      >
      > "sparre" OSw. for beam or wooden construction detail in house or fence
      > etc.

      Modern Swedish also has a verb _sp�rra_ 'to bar or block off', probably from
      the same source.

      [other Gothic/Italian/Swedish triplets snipped for bandwidth; great job, you
      two!]

      ----
      Ingeborg S. Nord�n
      (runelady@...)