[gothic-l] Re: Television and modern words.

  • M. Carver
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 19, 1999
      Mike/Abrigon Adams/Gusiq wrote:

      > I can see that Gothic could have either addopted a latin form of the
      > word, or Greek form. Tele Vision = Far See. Or it could do something
      > like "Fahrsehen" or like (sorry mein Hochdeutsche is nicht gut und
      > limited)..

      It is interesting to see how this kind of words are borrowed into
      languages. The commonly mentioned, conservative tendencies of Icelandic
      earlier this century gave útvarp for radio, sjónvarp for t.v., and tölva
      for computer, no sign of Latin or Greek at all. Even German at the time
      had a romanticist bent, translating everything with 'germanic'
      components: Rundfunk, Fernseher, etc. I guess things turned around
      there, however, when "der Computer" came to be.

      > The Latin or Greek, could depend on where the Goth and Goths learned of
      > the invention. The VisiGoth and Ostrogoths, especially the Visi, could
      > get it from Latin, and yes to a point the Ostro, but the ones in 18th
      > Century Crimea could have gotten the word from either Greek, Russian,
      > Ukraninan, Turkish. Kazak or like. So it all depends on what tacked you
      > wish to go for..
      >
      > Mike

      It is quite possible that such borrowing could have taken place,
      especially in the midst of all the other manners of commmerce. To use
      this approach as a basis for increasing the modern Gothic vocabulary is,
      I think, open to too much subjectivity and chance to make for a very
      good, universally viable answer. That's why I propose/support the
      comparative method. It may not be how the Goths *would* have done it,
      but it at least will offer comprehensibility, esp. to those familiar
      with comparative Germanic philology and/or Gothic phonology.

      For television, I might suggest one of the following approaches:

      1) direct borrowing "telebisio'"
      2) direct borrowing "teibei" (decline English or Gothic)
      3) translated components "fairsaihwa"
      4) paraphrased translation "siunwairp" (cf. Ice. sjonvarp)
      5) ?? alternates for (4)??

      sijais hails,

      Matt

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/gothic-l