[gothic-l] Television and modern words.

  • Mike/Abrigon Adams/Gusiq
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 1999
      I can see that Gothic could have either addopted a latin form of the
      word, or Greek form. Tele Vision = Far See. Or it could do something
      like "Fahrsehen" or like (sorry mein Hochdeutsche is nicht gut und
      limited)..

      The Latin or Greek, could depend on where the Goth and Goths learned of
      the invention. The VisiGoth and Ostrogoths, especially the Visi, could
      get it from Latin, and yes to a point the Ostro, but the ones in 18th
      Century Crimea could have gotten the word from either Greek, Russian,
      Ukraninan, Turkish. Kazak or like. So it all depends on what tacked you
      wish to go for..

      Mike

      New words for things I think is why we keep latin and somewhat greek
      around.

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/gothic-l
    • M. Carver
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 19, 1999
        Mike/Abrigon Adams/Gusiq wrote:

        > I can see that Gothic could have either addopted a latin form of the
        > word, or Greek form. Tele Vision = Far See. Or it could do something
        > like "Fahrsehen" or like (sorry mein Hochdeutsche is nicht gut und
        > limited)..

        It is interesting to see how this kind of words are borrowed into
        languages. The commonly mentioned, conservative tendencies of Icelandic
        earlier this century gave útvarp for radio, sjónvarp for t.v., and tölva
        for computer, no sign of Latin or Greek at all. Even German at the time
        had a romanticist bent, translating everything with 'germanic'
        components: Rundfunk, Fernseher, etc. I guess things turned around
        there, however, when "der Computer" came to be.

        > The Latin or Greek, could depend on where the Goth and Goths learned of
        > the invention. The VisiGoth and Ostrogoths, especially the Visi, could
        > get it from Latin, and yes to a point the Ostro, but the ones in 18th
        > Century Crimea could have gotten the word from either Greek, Russian,
        > Ukraninan, Turkish. Kazak or like. So it all depends on what tacked you
        > wish to go for..
        >
        > Mike

        It is quite possible that such borrowing could have taken place,
        especially in the midst of all the other manners of commmerce. To use
        this approach as a basis for increasing the modern Gothic vocabulary is,
        I think, open to too much subjectivity and chance to make for a very
        good, universally viable answer. That's why I propose/support the
        comparative method. It may not be how the Goths *would* have done it,
        but it at least will offer comprehensibility, esp. to those familiar
        with comparative Germanic philology and/or Gothic phonology.

        For television, I might suggest one of the following approaches:

        1) direct borrowing "telebisio'"
        2) direct borrowing "teibei" (decline English or Gothic)
        3) translated components "fairsaihwa"
        4) paraphrased translation "siunwairp" (cf. Ice. sjonvarp)
        5) ?? alternates for (4)??

        sijais hails,

        Matt

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/gothic-l