[gothic-l] books

  • Eric Craven
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 1998
      does anyone know An Introduction to the Gothic Language by
      Bennet/Lehmann (1981)?
      or any other good books on language and syntax? i got just an old 50
      page manual (i guess from 1910/20), so any help would be appreciated.

      eric

    • Christian Petersen
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 1998
        Eric Craven wrote:

        > does anyone know An Introduction to the Gothic Language by
        > Bennet/Lehmann (1981)?
        > or any other good books on language and syntax? i got just an old 50
        > page manual (i guess from 1910/20), so any help would be appreciated.

        The work by William Holmes Bennett has been published several times,
        e.g.:
        1972: Ann Arbor: Ulrich's Books, Incorporated
        1981: New York: Modern Language Association
        If you know German, the 'Gotische Grammatik' by Wilhelm Braune & Ernst
        Ebbinghaus would probably be the most useful one (not only because I'm
        working on it, but because they take the recent results in account).
        Other common standards are e.g. Krause (German), Mossé (French), and
        Streitberg (German [Swiss actually]).
        Chris
      • Eric Craven
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 1998
          Christian Petersen wrote:

          > Eric Craven wrote:
          > >
          > > does anyone know An Introduction to the Gothic Language by
          > > Bennet/Lehmann (1981)?
          > > or any other good books on language and syntax? i got just an old 50
          > > page manual (i guess from 1910/20), so any help would be appreciated.
          >
          > The work by William Holmes Bennett has been published several times,
          > e.g.:
          > 1972: Ann Arbor: Ulrich's Books, Incorporated
          > 1981: New York: Modern Language Association
          > If you know German, the 'Gotische Grammatik' by Wilhelm Braune & Ernst
          > Ebbinghaus would probably be the most useful one (not only because I'm
          > working on it, but because they take the recent results in account).

          is it
          Neugotische Grammatik mit Lesestücken und Wörterverzeichnis. ( Sammlung
          kurzer Grammatiken germ. Dialekte.)
          ??
          why is it
          "new gothic"??

          > Other common standards are e.g. Krause (German), Mossé (French), and
          > Streitberg (German [Swiss actually]).
          > Chris

          tx

        • Christian Petersen
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 1998
            > > The work by William Holmes Bennett has been published several times,
            > > e.g.:
            > > 1972: Ann Arbor: Ulrich's Books, Incorporated
            > > 1981: New York: Modern Language Association
            > > If you know German, the 'Gotische Grammatik' by Wilhelm Braune & Ernst
            > > Ebbinghaus would probably be the most useful one.
            > is it
            > Neugotische Grammatik mit Lesestücken und Wörterverzeichnis. ( Sammlung
            > kurzer Grammatiken germ. Dialekte.)
            > ??
            > why is it
            > "new gothic"??
            It's not; your source must be wrong. One rather should ask, why
            Bennett's work has been published by the MODERN Language Association.
            However, you may look for BRAUNE/HELM/EBBINGHAUS:
            Gotische Grammatik - mit Lesestücken und Wörterverzeichnis;
            [Sammlung kurzer Grammatiken germanischer Dialekte A 1]
            Tübingen (Max Niemeyer Verlag) 1981, in the 19th edition.
            Take Care; Chris