[gothic-l] "Supplementing" Gothic

  • M. Edward Carver
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 1998
      Eric Craven wrote:

      > > Script: Gothic probably needs to employ the Latin script without any diacritical marks in order to make it comply with ANSI conventions.
      > >

      > well, i dont like the idea of changing it all, fx [ai] (=short e) changing to something else...., but does anyone have any ideas what it would look like finally?

      Isn't there an official documentation for Gothic? We could just
      download the preferences into our browsers and use that. Otherwise a
      romanization could be employed NOT as a replacement for the Wulfilian
      script, just as an ascii convention.

      > isnt the pronounciation more or less known? my book provides quite an exact guide to pronounciation (maybe its wrong, dunno..)

      Enough with your passive-aggressive paranthetical statements, Eric. Of
      course it's right. The pronunciation is fairly simple and and
      well-attested.

      > > Grammar: It retains as much as possible of the Wulfi[li]an grammar.
      > i`d say we keep all, or what would u abolish?

      I'm sure he doesn't mean abolish anything. It's just that the remnant
      texts don't provide us with every single grammatical situation that we
      would encounter in modern composition, not to mention they're highly
      hellenized (greek-influenced). Therefore we will have to fill in the
      blanks, as it were, with comparative Germanics. However, we will
      definitely have to make a distinction between this and Wulfila's Gothic.

      > btw anyone prepared to try to talk in gothic via irc/...?
      > we could try to open a channel once more..
      >
      > eric

      One step at a time, Eric. Remember, involved people are needed first
      before we can conceive of anything like an irc-list, which requires
      constant or fairly-constant usage over a number of days to get
      authorized. --Matt